• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Light Speed and greater

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sir Ulli

just an interesting Discussion at our Forum

when 2 Space Travel are gone with 1 x Light speed in different Directions , they are going endlessnes
then they are going about 600000km/s

but it is said that nothing is faster than Light Speed, but the Room between the 2 Space Travel is going to 2 x Light Speed.

an interesting Discussion.

regards
Sir Ulli

Last edited:
You need to read up more about this... Its like when you go at the speed of light in a car (this is just an example), if you had the headlights on, would that mean you wouldnt see anything in front of you? Actually, yes, you would, because everything is relative. Although the light being emitted from the car wouldnt ctually be going faster than light from another perspective. The situation you gave would be different, both people would see the othr closing on them at the speed of light, and no faster, because of relativity. Go ahead and resurrect Einstein to contest this if you need to :p

Yeah, but your car couldn't travel at the speed of light, because as objects near C(the spead of light) they become infinately massive, and therefore can never attain C. Physics class from high school is coming back to haunt me!

the older physic book said there's no way to obtain the speed of light due to 2 fact, infinite power and infinit mass is needed. however, i remember i had read some article in ScientificAmerica (good magazine!), that it's possible obtain the speed of light or very close to it. there was another aritcle stating that, something could travel even faster than the speed of light! and the speed of light isn't completely consisent! it was traveling much faster than it is now right after the big bang....

i really forgotten it, but it's a good magazine to read if you are into space & universe & science stuffs like that...

btw, any direct link, Sir? :)

One thing that I think it sort of cool is that if you somehow travel faster than the speed of light, you will actually go back in time. From all my teachings it isn't possible to actually travel at the speed of light, but come infinately close to it. The problems that exist with trying to travel at light speed are that as your speed increases towards the speed of light, you weigh more, and therefore need more force to accelerate you towards the speed of light. Even if you do somehow come up with a force great enough to propel you faster than you were previously going you will then have even greater mass, and the process will keep repeating, and the speed of light will never be obtained. It's sort of like graphing an asymptote(sp?), if you know what that is. I've heard that it might be possible to somehow travel faster if you use a wormhole, but I'm not sure how that works exactly.

A very interesting topic, and one of my long time favorites. I think in this century perhaps we will see that Einstein filled in part of the puzzle, but there are gaps. Einstein himself admitted that he was troubled by missing pieces in his overall concept - something that people are working on now called the unified theory, or grand unified theory. All together it involves matter, anitmatter, and if I remember correctly such things as gravity and anti-gravity, as well as opposing forces of magnetism - it has also been called a unified field theory.

With respect to travel at the speed of light, there are ways to bend the rules to some degree. Warp travel (long the hip buzz word from star trek) is actually based on real concepts. Rather than moving at or faster than the speed of light, you warp the space/time fabric around you as you move - in effect changing the distance you travel as you move. It's easier to grasp if you picture a bubble around a craft. The space/time fabric is distorted - perhaps via a strong gravity or magnetic field. Essentially you compress the distance ahead in your favor, while stretching the distance behind, and thus cross a given distance as though it was unchanged but you were moving much faster. Worm holes on the other hand are best thought of as short-cuts between folds of space/time fabric. Think of ocean waves and then picture yourself riding a boat over the waves. If you entered a worm hole it would be like cutting through the wave crest under water to reach the other side, instead of having to travel the entire distance on top of the water - over the wave top and down the side. Very interesting stuff.

Last edited:
The warp travel concept (or even better named folding travel9 is along standing debate. But so far it's been the only way to travel very far very quickly.

There's been some recent discussion (specially with the coworkers and recent developers of Stephen Hawkins works) that c is not a constant. As everything is relative, and using the example that Ulli posted first, two travellers going in oposite directions at near the speed of light will see each other travelling faster than the speed of light. What this people are suggesting is that is more likely than c times another property is constant, so as velocity increases the other decreases to maintain the constant. An intersting fact, and something to be developed along the grand unification theory.

[open parenthesis]The Gran Unified theory is the one thay will gather under one single expresion all the forces seen (or felt) in the Universe: Gravitation Fields, Electric Field, Magnetic Field, Strong Force and Weak Force. The last two are molecular forces seen in the molecular level playfield, while the other three are part of our everyday experience. This been the work that will make Newton (clasical physics) and Quantum (Einstein and Plank's physics) physic work as an unified piece of knoledge[/close parenthesis]

The infinity mass/infinity energy to obtain near c velocities is one of the first problems an spacefaring species needs to solve nad one of the workarounds is using an strong magnetic field to "fold" space around a traveller, this would allow the traveller to bypass distances and move more quickly than the speed of light would allow. The problem is the amount of energy needed to that.

Back