• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan on PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mike2002

Registered
I've got a HP Pavilion computer and the fan on the PSU keeps on stopping but I can get it to restart but I think it's time to fix it. My neighbor gave me a PSU to take apart so I can use the fan from that one. It's an AT style PSU while my computer uses the ATX style. I don't think that makes much of a difference with the fans but that's okay. So I'm wondering where the fan is plugged into. The fan on the AT style PSU has a little power thing coming out arranged with all of the other connectors. It's a little tiny one that has two wires. Where is this supposed to be plugged into?? Do I plug it into the MOBO somewhere and if so then where. I appreciate everyone's help. Thanks, Mike.

You need to cut the wires that are powering the original fan and attach them to the wires on the fan you wish to install. Typically things are not so easy as to find the same connector on the target supply as you happened to have in the donnor. Your ATX supply will likely have a different connector or have the fan wires soldered directly to the PC board so you need to be prepared to snip them and solder them to the new fan's wires.

Alternatively you can use a case fan with a 4 pin connector and run the wire out the side and hook it to a drive connector externally.

You could also "fix" the fan. Usually they just need the bearing/shaft cleaned & reoiled.

To do so:
Remove sticker on back of fan. Might be a rubber "plug", if so, remove as well. You should see a small C-clip on the shaft. Carefully remove this and set aside along with the tiny washers. Use a mild solvent to clean bearing & shaft - I usually just use alcohol. Then I reassemble and put 2 drops of oil onto shaft/bearing.

Back