• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

teh heat is teh suck :( production loss....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RoadWarrior

Hi guys,

Can't seem to keep my 2 XPs up at the moment, the ambient in the basement is pushing 30 (w00r 3C cooler than outside still :rolleyes: ) The K6-2s seem to be surviving, but in case you couldn't guess, their production isn't exactly stellar. I'm going to try banging everything on a 100 fsb and below stock to get something out of them, then if that doesn't work, tinkers. Can't seem to do anything else to keep them running.

Just wondering though are there any of those CPU software coolers that can be triggered on temperature and will run a higher priority than F@H??? Because that might work better than having the clockspeeds set way low. Software throttling, kind of.

I'm not entirely sure it's CPU heat that's the problem though, they're staying below 50, it's possibly the northbridges or RAM that are getting killed, because I am seeing damn high temps on those.

I just pushed into the top 300 but I Think I'm going to bounce out again soon unless I manage to get something out of these XPs...

Road Warrior

I'm suffering the same thing to a lesser degree with my 2 systems. What I did is went to a discount store and bought 2 window fans. I opened up the side pannel and I put the fans on low just to get the temps around 25 in the case. It seems like a good idea to me, but I don't know.

Good Luck!!

Dropping the overclock and the voltage will drop your heat a lot.

Try a 10% less overclock and take vcore down a little.

Last edited:
How many systems do you have down there? Just curious since I will be moving myself and all my rigs into my basement soon.

-Rav

Both my XPs are in the basement, a tbred A that was doing 1850 for a couple of WUs until heat hit, and my palomino 1800, that was at stock in a K7S5A. It's been really warm here, up to 34 outside, the basement stayed marginally cooler, got to 29.5 by my digital thermometer. The K6-2s are spread around the house as surfing machines, thier ambients must have been pushing 37, it's a real oven this place.

Anyway, got a hugeass box fan in one of the windows on the main floor now, that may have some effect in cooling the whole house down a few degrees which may mean the basement will drop a couple too.

They're still up on a 100Mhz fsb at the moment, might get some WUs in tomorrow I hope.

Might have to think about watercooling at this rate. Though if they are going to fall over like this then there's no harm in taking them down for major modding, like BIG heatsinks on the northbridges etc.

Road Warrior

Ya, heat is becoming a issue up here as well. I would be allset if wife would leave ac on....

But my hottest system will get to about 55c in 90 degree weather., still safe.:mad: :mad: :mad:

I thought about moving everything to the basement, but man, big project, pain in the butt.

Anybody know where intels throttle temp is?

cp

Back