• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OMG!! I cannot believe I just bought an ATI!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Atari

Thats right I didn't think I would ever do it but I just did 5min ago.
I was so set on Nvidia since I think there drivers are more supported then ATI's I was looking into getting a FX5800. Glad I waited since I got myself a Radeon 9800PRO! *YAY*! The only thing is i'm still very concerned on ati's drivers.. I'm not that big of a gamer I work in 3D. Worst thing next is I know nothing about ATI or its drivers :/. Can anyone help me out with what to install? (Yes, I am formatting my computer for the new vid card). Also the card I bought is this :
ATI OEM SAPPHIRE RADEON 9800 PRO 128MB DVI/TV 8X AGP

IS this a good make? Basically if anyone has any advice to give that could help me out it will be greatly appreciated! The main factor that made me switch was I was able to pick this up at $270 shipped =p..

If this worx i'm going to so happy! Getting rid of Nvidia and its BS cheats and its lameass FX line will be a great comfort.

Sapphire are fine, and the old "ATI drivers suck" argument died a long time ago, the Catalyst drivers have been more than fine.

Way to go I think you will be very happy. Im more of a gamer. Infact I know next to nothing about 3d animation or anything of that nature. However I can tell you ATI's drivers have gotten much much better since gthey started the Catalyst program. They just came out with a new Version.. the 3.5's so far they are my favorite.. best yet. And yes Sapphire is good (see sig) they make almost all of ATI's cards anyway.

what OS do you plan on using?

Last edited:
For professional 3D Ati gaming cards aren't really best. But I think using softhack to turn gaming card into equivalent on the prof. side and/or using prof. card drivers should make them much better.

Thanks for the help guys! Yea i'm planning on doing the FireGL X1 conversion. Sorry about bringing up the "drivers" issue again, its just hard to move to a new company after using nvidia crap for so long. Everything I do is related ot my vid card so that why its so important. I'll make sure I install the 3.5's then thanks for the help IR1!

I use Win2k for my OS. There any problems with not using WinXP?

Shade00 said:

If not better. ;)

lol, I was thinking that, but figured I'd keep my biased to myself, but since you mentioned it...

YOU DON'T HAVE TO REGISTER W2K SO YOU CAN USE IT ON 1,000,000 COMPUTRS...assuming you have 1,000,000 computers at home:D

Atari said:
Thats right I didn't think I would ever do it but I just did 5min ago.
I was so set on Nvidia since I think there drivers are more supported then ATI's I was looking into getting a FX5800. Glad I waited since I got myself a Radeon 9800PRO! *YAY*! The only thing is i'm still very concerned on ati's drivers.. I'm not that big of a gamer I work in 3D.

A lot of non-game 3d programs, cad, animiation, etc don't seem to work well with ATI's, solidworks for example has issues with all ATI cards, there's limitations or stability issues with all of them.

Dunno if this helps but the X GL is getting smacked aronud by the new quadros. dont mind the japanese jsut scroll down and view the charts.

Benchmarks fire x GL1 VS quadroz

I have heard ATis arent the best drivers for 3d Animation and such, and the quadros performance is also according to that site alot better in many test. O well your money

-Brian

Well the facts are that there is no softquadro for the FX line yet. Yes thats why I was worried about buying an ATI. They are known not to run much more than games and thats it. So I'm going to try it.. If it looks like trouble I'll just return it and buy an Nvidia. (hope thats not the case)

Not to mention I use Maya primarily and the FireGL X1 is certified for it so I think this will work out quite well and will blow my GF3 Ti500 away. I mean $270 for a 9800Pro or $500+ for a GFFX5900.. Too damn steep for me.

Last edited:
Right now ATI is the lead. They run solid graphics and each driver release they seem to run better.

It may take a while before Nvidia to gains the crown.

But the winner is the customer hands down.

Remeber, never focus on one company being better or not. That is their marketing team assaulting you with marketing psychological warfare.

Just say YO!

- Roll The Dice

ATi's driver releases have gotten MUCH better since the early days of the Radeon line. I think they release new drivers every 3 weeks or so, and there's usually a whole boatload of improvements and bugfixes in them :)

Yeah I'm sure you wont be disappointed! It's a great card, and you got it at a good price!

The official radeon catalyst drivers are great and you can also get omega drivers, which have lots of great features and add on programs.

OC Noob said:

lol, I was thinking that, but figured I'd keep my biased to myself, but since you mentioned it...

YOU DON'T HAVE TO REGISTER W2K SO YOU CAN USE IT ON 1,000,000 COMPUTRS...assuming you have 1,000,000 computers at home:D

that doesn't make win2k a better os. It just makes win2k easier to pirate which makes people think win2k is a better os. SO in essence, win2k is a better OS to own in a multi-computer enviornment, however, i find winxp to much a much better OS in general then 2k. No this isnt' biased, both OS's are by microsoft, but from a professional point since i deal with a lot of customers, driver installs, all that kind of business stuff, i'm very happy when the machines i work on are XP PRO.

Back