• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Emergency Bios Came in, now what?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RedDawg41

Just got my emergency bios order in for my NF7-S, from excaliber, question is how does this chip go in? It's a PMC epprom flash module, but none of the instructions shows how it goes into the socket, please, no smart a$$ remarks on how to, but just tips from those who have done this. I know the letter go in facing up, but what i'm talking about, is there certain way inwhich the bioschip goes in, ie... lettering facing up, right 2 left perpendicular tothe corn of the mobo? etc...

anyone who's done this, please let me know... I really don't want another zapped bios.
Many thanks in advance.:cool:

The BIOS chip only goes in one way...you will see a little notch on one fo the corners of the chip...match that up with the notch where the BIOS chip goes...

Got the emergency kit in, did the swap while system was on... got the old bios to program the 1.4bios update... now I can run this board @220FSB w/11.5multi... 2.535GHz... just dandy baby!

How did you get the chip out? I thought it took a special tool like a chip extractor.
Just wondering,
xb-70

bought a PC toolkit from RadioWack...err RadioShack, 39.00usd
in that kit, there a long needle nose clip chip puller (i believe), all metal device, which when you put presure on the handle, it opens up the device... anyways, i wrapped up the ends of the needle nose thingy, with electrical tape. trimmed down the extra tape, and then proceeded to extract the bios chip out, one end inserting the needleclip and pulling up on the bios, then to the other end. hope that helps.

glad everything is working right for you now Dawg...always nice to have an extra chip around...wishing I hadn't sold my extra ones before corrupting my Asus BIOS though :(

lets just say that all this has brought up some questions in regard to the Quality and Control on the ABIT/ASUS/Anyone manufacturing the nforce2 boards

1. Who decided that it was "okay" for nforce2 boards to randomly zapped its bios chip? Other than operator error (or dumbass mistakes).

2. When warnings are writtenly expressed by retailers on the net, ie. excaliberpc, which explains about this fatal flaw from the nforce2 boards, to whom do we (afficionados/hobbiest) raise our concerns about this issue?

3. When its apparent that Bios corruption is rampant amoungst the nforce2 boards, should we (consumers) make a statement with our wallets to these board makers and demand better quality and control? or do we accept the excuse that the chipmaker (Nvidia) is fully responsible for these types of corruptions and wait until the 3rd, 4th or may 10th revision of the chipset is finally out which might correct these problems?

I'll get off the soap box, but as a enthusiast/hobbiest/afficionado on AMD cpu's/motherboards, my patience has been but exhausted on these problems/issues.

You know what is bad...this was released a few months ago...Nvidia knew of the corruption issue and actually put a jumper on the reference boards to solve that issue...shuttle was the only MB maker that kept that jumper on their boards...all of the other major companys took it off...{sarcaism} wonder why that was {sarcaism}

They should sell the nForce2 mobos with the spare CMOS included.

I bought mine with open eyes fully knowing what was involved before I purchased one. I think of the nForce2 platform as a souped up hot rod. You're going to break stuff if you push it to the limits. So if you don't want the risk, get a more pedestrian platform.

Not everyone knows about the BIOS issue and gets caught by it. nVidia needs to get a hold of the problem and fix it rather than issue a series of workarounds.

Last edited:
Audioaficionado said:
They should sell the nForce2 mobos with the spare CMOS included.

That is what the jumper was...but not for the CMOS...but for the BIOS itself...did the same thing as clearing the CMOS...except it cleared the entire BIOS...the only downside I seen to that was...you would have to reflash to the latest BIOS everytime...but then again...that isn't much of a downside when having to order new BIOS chip(s)...

I wonder why it was dropped? As long as you could post, you could recover from a BIOS corruption. Now if you don't have a spare CMOS, you're screwed.

I believe that the average user would most likely find themselves buying out to another board once they found out of this flaw... usually from the tecky guys which the paid out about 90.00usd to diagnos their board... I would be willing to bet that the Nforce3 boards coming out in sept-oct timeframe will continue this trend from nvidia (bios corruption) which allows the mobo manufacturers to option out the onboard jumper for the bios. I think Gigabyte used to make the DUAL Bios boards, but I think that came to end due to cost effectiveness to the mobomaker. Don't know, but if the choices where to order a new mobo, for the TBREDS, Bartons, or Athlon64, I'd be very hesitate about getting another nvidia nforce board. I'm gonna sit the sidelines untill the second revisions of the KT600's come out to the market... I've paid many a price for the KT400 boards from Soyo Dragon Ultra Plat... Abit AT7-2 Max2... FIC AN19-E, Chaintech 7VJL... I know the Guru's of marketing has the power within each organization to force out a premature mobo, but its with great pain to us, the consumers, to get burned out on these beta level chipsets. Don't know if waiting around seems to be the best medicine, but something has got to be done.

If I had it to do over, I'd still get this mobo. My out of box expirence has been very good so far.

My next mobo will be a duallie I think.

I may keep this rig for gaming and O/Cing to the max. Otherwise I'd need to get $500 for it to break even. The longer I hold on to it, the less valuable it becomes.

Back