• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my temp probe busted?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Azeroth

We I finnaly got my water setup done (will post pics tomorow), I turn my computer on, expecting a massive temp decrease, I open up MBM5 and see the temps idle at about 44C (I had 42 idle with my Volcano 7+ at low setting). I used AS3, and the concact between the heatsink and the block was very tight. I decided to see if my temp probe is even reading temps correctly so I turned off the pump to see if the temps are going up when the water is not circulating. Well to my surprise the temp went down by 1C, even though I could feel the block with my finger it it actually got hot to the touch, so I turned the pump back on to cool it down. I am guessing my temp probe is messed up, even though the case temp probe on the motherboard seems to be working fine (reading 32C).

Are you sure you have the right probes configured in MBM5?
I had them mixed up once (that's how mbm installed), and was getting the case temp probe labeled as cpu temp.
When you stopped the waterflow, did the case temp go up?
Grab a straw and slowly blow some hot air (no slobering) around the motherboard in the area of the battery, does the cpu temp climb?

Anyway, that's the first thing I'd check. There's configuration info for many motherboards on their site, just look in the left hand menu scrolling down to find your mobo maker listed.

Next thing I'd check is wether the thermister is touching the processor's backside by removing the cpu, bending that blue thingy upwards about an 1/8", then pushing the cpu back into the socket. Some thermal goop (just a tiny spot of it) on that blue thingy would be good too. Then remount your gear and see if that changed anything.
If your mobo reads from the cpu diode (internally) then I'd highly suspect number one...

Hope that helps ya, bud.

Its a P4 so the motherboard should read from the CPU diode. I checked the MBM website but could not find my motherboard on their list of supported Soyo boards (P4VDA).

Back