Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling
Cooling Discussion of fans, heatsinks, thermal pastes and putting it all together to keep your rig cool
Forum Jump

OC System 9700 video card cooling kit

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 06-25-03, 11:40 PM Thread Starter   #1
bsspewer

OC System 9700 video card cooling kit

anyone use this cooling heatsink for their card? I wonder how much more effiecent it would be over something like the Thermaltake Crystal Orb. Anyone know of a review or have personal experience with this cooling heatsink from ocsystem?
bsspewer is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-25-03, 11:47 PM   #2
Black_Paladin

I don't have any personal experience with this heatsink but I know that this is the same heatsink that the Tachyon 9700 pro cards use. It can't be bad but you might want to check with people that have the Tachyon 9700 pro to find out how good it really is.

The nice thing is that since the Tachyon 9700 pros have temperature monitoring, a person that has this card could tell you EXACTLY how good this heatsink is.
Black_Paladin is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-26-03, 12:14 AM   #3
fubulg6000

Ok, i've personally used it and it does a whole lot better than my current vantec iceberq4 on a ati 9700np (pro). Temps from the cooler gave me 33C to 45C load ( maxed out settings), while my iceberq4 gives me 40C idle with 59C! load. It is very hot right now (assuming 3_C ambient) and the cards aren't tested with same conditions. When i had that ocsystem cooler it was about 21C ambient or so (big difference). Oh, by the way, there is litterally no cooling on the memory modules. The aluminum casing is elevated with little sponges on the memory chips to prevent core cracking. I didn't notice this at first and came close to cracking the core. But oh well. The back side is the only plate that touches the memory modules (it shouldn't but i forced it to). I'd say that it isn't a bad cooler, but it is still better than the iceberq4.
fubulg6000 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-26-03, 12:21 AM   #4
schismspeak

Umm well you had/have 10C difference when these were tested, so the vantec isnt near as bad as it looks, either one should be better then stock, the crystal orb will not be sufficient cooling for the 9700.

80GB HD
DVD-RW drive
Creative SB Extreme Audio Notebook
Windows Vista SP1

HEAT
schismspeak is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling
Cooling Discussion of fans, heatsinks, thermal pastes and putting it all together to keep your rig cool