• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OS tips and tricks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadBlade

Just want to start a thread of useful information to help make your computing experience more enjoyable.

IE tip:
When typing a dot com address you don't have to type the whole thing, just press the ctrl + enter.

Example: Instead of typing "http://www.google.com" or "www.google.com" you can just type "google" then hold down crtl and press enter.

with IE if you hold down your shift key & move your mouse wheel it works like hitting the "back" & "forward" buttons

shift + mousewheel up = forward
shift + mousewheel down= back

Open Explorer: Windows Key + E
Minimize All Windows: Windows Key + M
Open Run Dialog: Windows Key + R

Windows Key = Key next to Ctrl on bottom left of keyboard

To select more than one program on the taskbar, hold down control and select the programs. Then you can, for example, close many programs at once or cascade/tile the windows.

Open up System Properties: Window Key + Break

L337 M33P said:
To take a screenshot of just the window currently active, press ALT+Printscr

I know this is nit-picking, but you don't even need to hold the ALT key in Windows XP. I'm not sure if you have to use the ALT key in other versions of Windows or other OSes, but it will save you from stretching or using two hands to get the screenshot :D

Tipycol said:
I know this is nit-picking, but you don't even need to hold the ALT key in Windows XP.

some meta-nit-picking:

Pressing only PrintScreen captures the entire desktop. Pressing alt-printscreen captures only the active Window. I don't think this is different in WinXP, though I don't have WinXP available right now to check it out.

Back