• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jonny 2x4

1st- I couldn't connect to certain websites on the net. I could connec to some, but not all. I tried to use just the IP and it still didn't work, this means it wasn't a dns problem.

So, I called up linksys (I have a 4-port dsl/cable router) and asked them what was wrong (cuz I could connect to those sites when I was connected straight to the modem). They made me put in the actual information in the network settings instead of "Obtain IP adress automatically" and "Obtain DNS address automatically."

IP: 192.168.1.100 blahblahblah

Well, now I can connect to all those websites. Now you're asking yourself "So.... what's wrong?" Well, I was wondering why all of the sudden I had to change all of these settings when they used to work fine with the "obtain auto" stuff on.

Actually, none of the ports that i have forwarded to 192.168.1.100 even forward. I can't do an active connection on dc++ and i used to be able to. I've tried putting in my local and external address.

Are you using the latest edition of firmware on that Linksys? I know earlier version had DHCP problems and that is probably why you could connect to some sites and not others.

Yeah, I think I am. Plus, even when I try to set it back to its original settings (the obtain auto) it wont let me connect to those sites I could connect to.... I can't even connect to the router.

Well as Kingslayer said it sounds like the DHCP problem that they had on one of the older firmware editions. I'm pretty sure you can check in the router config utility as to what firmware you have....I know I can on my NetGear :)

I just reset the router one more time, just in case, and it works now. I'll still check for firmware updates.

One more question, if I manually put in the dns servers into xp will that be faster than obtaining them automatically?

Back