• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I upgrade? Newbie Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fynanceguy

Registered
Should I upgrade a 3.06b to a 800FSB board? Newbie Question

I bought a 3.06 GHZ 'B" a couple of months ago, and have a P4S8X-X with 2 sticks of 512 meg Buffalo 3200. Should I upgrade to an 800 board like the P4P800? Any performance gains?

Also, I have had stability issues with the ATI 9700 with the cat 3.2, 3.4 and omega drivers. I thought, maybe I could upgrade the board (overclocking) and possibly resolve the ATI issues.

Thanks a Bunch!

Last edited:
there are lots of threads about driver instability in the video card forums. but make sure you uninstall the previous driver before installing the new ones

I personally dont see why it would be a waste of money to upgrade your mobo. I did mine and now I am ready for future upgrades ie: processor,SATA,etc. I also believe that the benefits of dual channel ram and the 4 phase power of the Abit mobo is very beneficial to more clockability. I need to RMA one of my sticks of ram atm but other than that I can see a benefit from running my ram @ 182. The bad stick is holding me back from achieveing more of an overclock. I can boot into windows up to 155 but the ram keeps knocking it back to a reboot. Where as before on my BE7-Raid I could only get to 146-8 stable. The real decision is only yours to make but in my opinion my 3.06 can hang in Sandra as comparing benchies to people that have a 2.4 or 2.6 that are clocked to equal to mine. I checked before purchasing mine and I had a .07 more total clock and beat the 2.4 by 100 points in Sandra 2003 (mine=3.47 his=3.40 if i remember correctly) All this and he had alot more FSB than I did me only @ 1.46 or was it 1.48 anyways he was well over 200 and I could still hang in the benchies not sure about real world though. Anyways , the decision is only yours to make but let me know what you decide to do and if so how you fair on the new mobo with the overclocking.:D

Tread

Back