• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Copper Stock question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rugbyroy

I'd like to try my hand out at making my own waterblock, but I'm not exactly sure the specifications on how large a block of copper I should get. Linky I'm thinking I'll get a couple of 2X3X.5 pieces, just in case I mess up, which I probably will. I figure I'll probably use a drill press, if I can find one. Any input is welcome!

Ok I found this Drill press . I figure I'll use 3/16 bit for some channels in the middle, and a larger bit around the edges. I'm not sure on the design though really, so it's nothing set in stone. Any suggestions on how low I should drill it? is about 1 mm thickness at the thinnest point too thin? thanks for all input

With my block, I got one piece 2x3/8 and 2x1/8, each a foot long. Then I followed Owen's article on a multi-hole drilled block.

2mm is a bit safer, in case you go too deep at one point. :eek: Also, it's way better to use a milling bit in the drill press, you'll get a nice flat bottom in your channels. It may cost more, but it'll last and you'll like the results.

i wouldent be too keen on that drill press, you need to use atleast a 510watt for neat sideways milling, its always best to spend some money on the drill press.;););)

It doesn't have to be a work of art here. You can get by with a milling bit in a drill press and just plunging. It won't be as clean and I suppose for some people that isn't acceptable, but the truth is it's not going to make a big difference.

Thanks for the input fellas. I'll look into the milling bit, and also the bigger drill press. I'm in college, so $$$ is in short supply unfortunately =(

I had to order mine in from a tool place in town. I got a 1/4", 2-flute, center cutting, 3/4" depth carbide tip milling bit. It cost me about $20, but it ate through the copper like nothing... And, after 2 WW clones, it's still good for more! (perhaps a NB block in the future!)

Do you know of any place online? I live in a pretty small town and I blew out both of my bike tires today. Gotta love mountainbiking! talk about a long walk home...[/threadjack]

Yes clone. I wouldn't try to match cathar's skill at all, but something nontheless similar in function and style. As for the 1/4" bit? Is something odd about that? I wasn't side milling as i said before, just plunging, and the channels were cut with a B&D RTX. I wasn't trying to build a piano with my copper, just a waterblock that is like a white water inside and out.

Last edited:
Truth be known, I didn't really make the block. My friend Zaz did considering he's made a block before. I helped with supplying the copper stock and the milling bit as well as the finishing work and lapping. I just made the WaterTower.

Warning: I may or may not be full of **** in the following post.

I *think* you're gonna want a lot more than a 1mm thick base to a block. Unless the majority of the cooling is happening right above the core, the heat is gonna have to conduct through the copper base to the rest of the waterblock. In my case, I'm working on a #rotor style multi-hole block. I whipped up a quick 3d model of the block, with 3/16" holes spaced in a quarter and 1/16" channels between the holes. I then took it to a school computer/design lab, and ran a basic FEA optimization for the thickness of the base of the block (Have I mentioned that my high school rocks?). I applied a 75 watt load to a CPU-core sized rectangle on the base of the block, and a simple convection boundary to the interior of the block (there was no way to simulate flow throught the block, but I think that may be irrelevent for what I was trying to find out). The optimum thickness for the lowest temperature on the core was just over 3/16".

None of the above applies, of course, if the block you're making cools mostly through squirting a jet of water right above the core. In that case, make sure there is as little as possible copper between the water and the CPU.

Anybody that really knows what they're doing: Please go ahead and correct me wherever I may be wrong. Or affirm what I just said... that would be better.

Another thing... you might want to consider ordering the copper stock from McMaster. It was slightly more expensive for me without shipping, but they only charged $5 shipping for a 1/2"x2"x1' and a 1/4"x2"x1' piece of copper, as well as 20 feet of clearflex 60 tubing. I'm sure you can find whatever milling bits you can concieve of there as well.

Seriously! My high school had an old 486 that all 1200 of us took turns using to type up our papers for Ms. Johnson's english class. Jungle I hope you know I wasn't bashing your block. Even if you didn't make it I still like the fact that it's home made. I'm trying to make my own creature =)

Back