• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking without unlocking AMD CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

matrixzen

Is there anyway whatsoever to overclock a AMD Athlon XP without unlocking? Just out of curiosity.

It also depends on your CPU, if you have a TBred you won't have to unlock. if u have a Palomino, then what was suggeted above is your only option, FSB OC.
You can see if u have a Tbred or a Palomino using the proggy, under the red link in my sig.
One more thing, even if u have a Tbred 2100+ u won't be able to use any multi lower than x13 (which is ur default) on ur mobo as far as I know. but its still worth a try

Why don't you want to unlock? Not to void your warranty? In this case, you can just short some socket holes with a wire - it works and it's completely safe. Make a search for a detailed description.

The Coolest said:
One more thing, even if u have a Tbred 2100+ u won't be able to use any multi lower than x13 (which is ur default) on ur mobo as far as I know. but its still worth a try

You are correct...the only way to get a Tbred or Barton to fully unlock (5 -20x+) is if you have a MB that will read the 5th FID...and as of right now...only the Anit KT400's and NF2 rev 2.0's will read the 5th FID...so if using a XP2000 and below...the highest they can use is 12.5x...and using a XP2100 and above...the can only use the 13x and higher...that is unless you mod the CPU...which they stated they didn't...that is if they are even running a Tbred...

RZA said:
Why don't you want to unlock? Not to void your warranty? In this case, you can just short some socket holes with a wire - it works and it's completely safe. Make a search for a detailed description.

If it is a Pali...that wont work...since they have to clear the laser pits first, then seal them with something non-conductive...and then lock the L1's...Tbred's...the blowing of the bridges will work though...

glock19owner said:

You are correct...the only way to get a Tbred or Barton to fully unlock (5 -20x+) is if you have a MB that will read the 5th FID...and as of right now...only the Anit KT400's and NF2 rev 2.0's will read the 5th FID...so if using a XP2000 and below...the highest they can use is 12.5x...and using a XP2100 and above...the can only use the 13x and higher...that is unless you mod the CPU...which they stated they didn't...that is if they are even running a Tbred...

I have full range with my 8rga+ on my 2400+ from 5-20 no problem. Look at my sig, running 10.5 and having no trouble at all ( never modded the cpu once. )

I didn't have to unlock

I have a 2100 AIUHB and a a7n8x-dlx, and my multiplier is unlocked. Works great so far. Not sure why it's like that though...:eh?:

From your recent experience is it hard to unlock the CPU? Can you mess up your CPU by doing it?

To unlock the CPU multipliers you have to join the L1 bridges on the CPU package itself - by putting conductive lacquer or grease between the pins on the top
l11.jpg

from Overclockers.com

if you screw it up then it is crispy chip time, but more info is available on the main site.

Hedgehogforprez said:

I have full range with my 8rga+ on my 2400+ from 5-20 no problem. Look at my sig, running 10.5 and having no trouble at all ( never modded the cpu once. )

Show my a WCUPID shot of it say running at 15x...just becasue the options are there doesn't mean it will run at that multi. without modding it...I run a Epox as well and know this for a fact..I have all of the multi optios showing on mine but still can not run past 12.5x...even when the multi. is set at 15x...

L337 M33P said:
To unlock the CPU multipliers you have to join the L1 bridges on the CPU package itself - by putting conductive lacquer or grease between the pins on the top
l11.jpg

from Overclockers.com

if you screw it up then it is crispy chip time, but more info is available on the main site.

Don't forget to clean the laser pits and fill them with nonconductive filling (super glue)...if you just close the bridges without doing that on a Pali...then you will fry it...

I've seen the kit to unlock the CPU for 11 bucks. I'll probably be unlocking sometime soon. Wish me luck.

There ya go, all those pictures where SS'd with alt+print screen and pasted into paint with no additional things added ( besides cropping to save some people with smaller monitors. ) run at 10.5x221 ( which is what I normaly run it at ) 15x133 ( default spd's ) and 17x120 ( just to prove a point that it can go higher than 15....

Back