• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

waterblock idea...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blackjackel

I have an idea, what if i cut a groove that is just as big as my CPU dye (like a little hole) Then put some thermal grease on it then attatch it to the die where the groove will cover the die just like a cup.

That would increase the surface area by adding the sides of the die to the total surface area....

I think this would be a great idea to increase thermal conductivity between the cpu and the waterblock, might end up increasing temps a degree or two....

Any thoughts?

blackjackel said:
might end up increasing temps a degree or two....

Any thoughts?

First thought- I think you mean DEcrease temps a bit....:D

A couple of problems with the idea:

CPU cores are delicate- Intel is using heatspreaders to protect theirs and we all see the sad posts about people cracking/chipping AMD cores. Trying to fit the block down the sides effectively would require close tolerances and make it quite difficult to install the block. At least without wrecking a core.

The top new water blocks are all moving towards very thin baseplates for more effective heat transfer: if the base is already on the verge of being fragile at 1 or 2 mm, taking more material away could wreck the block. Older blocks and any others with thick BP have the material to spare but I don't know if the added surface for heat transfer would be worth the high risk factor

Also, a block fit to a core like this would only fit one type of core. You could make one to fit, say, the tbred you have now, but if you ever upgrade to a CPU with a different core, you couldn't use the old block fitted to a different core.

the groove in the bottom of the block is basically what intel's IHS is, except I'm assuming you will mill it out of the waterblock, and not have it as a separate piece?

if the base is already on the verge of being fragile at 1 or 2 mm, taking more material away could wreck the block
well, if you added 1mm to the block's base, and milled away 1mm, then it would even out, right? :)

i think its a fine idea!! if your building a die wrench. any little twist and that bad boy will pop right off the processor pcb.

so u mean like this

cpucore.gif

would take alot of precision sanding and such to get it to be an exact fit!

one problem, if it went flat against the rest of teh cpu, it could short bridges and stuff.

what about make it slightly bigger than the die itself then squirt non-conductive thermal paste inside the hole then put it on the die...

would that work?

the measurements would have to be EXACT, and i mean EXACT
i think its almost impossible to get it the correct size without the help of a skilled 'copper man' and a laser

you are gonna need a laser precision cutting device to match a die to the block. a mill just wont do it if you want the sides of the core to touch the block

oh wow, noone kicked in how Hoot did this to a heatsink a while back? its about getting everything perfect, and then your not gonna notice a difference even if you were to get it perfect.

Hoot said he didnt notice a thing. or maybe his temps went up, I dont remember...

Jon

Not to mention the fact that if you look really good at your core there's a layer of glue (i think it's glue) or something around it. Or at least there is on my barton... And that's gunna make it even harder for you to get your core "pocket" exact.

well i changed my mind on the hole being EXACT and an EXACT FIT,

now i am saying what if the hole what slightly bigger than the core itself and to compensate you would squirt non conductive grease in the hole and place the core on top, so the non conductive thermal paste would cover up any space left....

I think if you did do it you should make the grove not as deep as the core is tall. so that it will definitly have contact between the block and cpu properly. I know its obvious but its all I can see as being a potential problem. Otherwise I cant see it being any WORSE but not much better either for the effort. I think you would lose more heat from a more efficient internal design on the fins and such rather than the base.

Back