• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help Building my computer...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Joshh100

Hey all,
I recently received all the new parts that I need to build my new machine. Im very excited to do it except, I have never done it before. I want to set up this thread to be kind of a help thread for me because Im going to need it! My first question is about installing the temperature monitor that came with my thermaltake case. To connect it, the manual says to tape the two wires on the underside of the processor with the provided tape. Can that be right? Is taping something on the processor ok? Please check back if you see I have posted anything else because that means a new question has arisen. Thanks.

To be honest with you the motherboard most likely has a temp sensor underneath it already. I have a case that I added a sensor to and I put it underneath the GPU on the video card. I wouldn't worry too much about it til you have everything hooked up.

well for one was never good at following directions. and I certainly wouldn't tape temp probes to my cpu's but what can I say everyone has a different opinion on this stuff. Some people like to place the temp probe in a hole drilled into the heatsink unit. some ppl route the wires through the pins of the cpu and indeed sample the underside of the processor (used to work great with socket extenders). Others are content with monitoring the heatsink temp as an indication of overall heat. I even know a guy who drill holes in his MB and gets the temp probe in that way. Like I said there are a bunch of ways to anything inside a system.

If I were you I would do a web search for building computers -- there are tons of sites that outline good steps in setting up a machine.

By all means continue posting questions when you have them but just remember that there are websites out there with pictures of this exact stuff and you can print them out too.

Good luck

T

Back