• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I broke a bit off my dvd drive....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dancing_Priest

Hey All
Well anyway , when removing a power cable from my dvd drive I took off the second pin from the right (going left), it connects to a black cable, It seems to work fine , but I have no idea what that pin was for , Is there anything that I should be carefull about , and what the hell was that pin even there for?!

ok if it connects to a black wire that is one of the ground wires. as far as i know it may be a problem. If a electronic device is not grounded it could burn out i think. I would let one of the more knowledgable members to explain more throughly but im not sure i would want my dvd drive not grounded (u never know what might happen). i would disconnect it till u have a definite answer.

Okay , Cheers for that , its a bit fo a bummer , as I Officially Finished my pc today(first time that the side pannel has been screwen on EVER!!) , oh well , here we go again ;-) , but how serious is this ?, could it kill my precious mobo?

ground wire = black

i would try to solder either the pin back on, or try to get a replacement

certain things need to be grounded, and others dont

im not sure if dvd drives do

i would touch it and see if you can feel current going through it

im sorry i cant be too much of help

Okay , cheers for that , But , I put by soldering iron down many moons ago in the Intrests of public safety....

Is it the black pin next to the red wire, or the yellow wire?

The hard drive only uses one of the grounds, and I believe its the one next to the yellow (12V+) wire. If the hard drive needed this ground, it would not turn on, so you are ok :D.

Back