• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI 694d-pro a/MS6321 and Tualatins....will they work?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vito

like the title says

Will these work work on this dual socket 370 mobo?
Ive got a pair of these now and want to know.
MSI website says N/A...in the cpu support sheet.
What do you experts think?
Or do I need an adapter?

OOps...sorry

they are 512 L2 cache

It looks like this MSI mobo has a socket that wont take the Tualatin ?
I wonder if these socket 370 adapters I see for sale work.
Anyone tried this?

Mobo has the socket 370 fc-pga
The Tualatins cpus are fc-pga2

hmmm. Odd that they left that out of their CPU test report. Maybe you should email MSI and ask them. My gut says that it won't support them. I think MSI would have listed them as ok, if they would work. It is in MSI's best interests for their MB to be as compatible as possible, you know?

To be honest, I don't know the difference between FCPGA and FCPGA2, so I don't know about the adapter possibility.

I did some more research and decided its not worth the extra money to try the Powerleap adapter rig and then to not have the thing boot or worse.
I cancelled the order for the Tullys....oh well.
Now I need some cheap matched P3 933s.
All I'm doing is building a cheapo dualie rig for some Autocad work.

FCPGA2 is electrically different to allow for a much lower core voltage. For example: 1.5v for Tualatin (.13micron core), compared to 1.75v for Coppermine (.18micron core).

The old standard simply did not allow for a low enough voltage. So unfortunately, the Tualatins are not backwards compatible on motherboards that were not built with this additional circutry.

The motherboards that are Tualatin capable can, however, use any and all Coppermines as well as Tualatins.

The # of pins remains the same, but how they are used is slightly different.

cmcquistion said:
hmmm. Odd that they left that out of their CPU test report. Maybe you should email MSI and ask them. My gut says that it won't support them. I think MSI would have listed them as ok, if they would work. It is in MSI's best interests for their MB to be as compatible as possible, you know?

To be honest, I don't know the difference between FCPGA and FCPGA2, so I don't know about the adapter possibility.

Tualatins have a tri-rail socket. Certain I/O pins need to be feed at 1.25 volt, in coppermines they would be the voltage of the rest of the processor (1.7 or whatever). So tualatins require 3.3v 1.475v 1.25v. While coppermines only need 3.3v and 1.7v. Digitally they are the same thing. Also tualatins have the locations of some pins switch around. Tualatins run fine on 3.3v and just 1.475, with the 1.25v pins being feed 1.475.

Back