• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HTML question, help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Soyo Boy

anyone know how to disable people from copying the url of an image on a site, then linking it to a place like forums, because people are doing that to my website, and my bandwidth is jumping fast, and i cant afford it anymore. I know how to disable right click, but my pics are thumbnails, then when you click the thumbnail, it opens up a new window with the bigger pic, and i cant insert any html in that window because it directs them striaght to the file.... please help! :)

Thanks

-Randall

does your server allow php? i could probably make a php page with the code to disable the right click that points to the images. it would basically make the images appear in an html page, but you don't need a different page for each pic, and all you'd have to do is change the links a bit.

I've seen scripts that checked to see what the refering URL was, and if it was not on your server, rather than returning the actual image, it returned an image that said "don't link here"

Disabling right-clicking is useless for this purpose. Someone can get around this by disabling javascript, by looking at the source code for the page, or by any of a number of other methods.

Carnil said:
Disabling right-clicking is useless for this purpose. Someone can get around this by disabling javascript, by looking at the source code for the page, or by any of a number of other methods.
this is true but most people don't go that far ;)

me too, if they make the effort to stop someone from getting it of course i will make the effort to get the picture :)

The truth is you can't stop 100% of them but, for every detour you put in their path the more they think about going else where to get it.

Stedeman said:
The truth is you can't stop 100% of them but, for every detour you put in their path the more they think about going else where to get it.

for me its the more obstacles the more interested I am in getting it :D

lol

this reminds me of a story,

my friend spend days locking down his images on his site and bet me 10 bucks I could not save his image. he did everything imaginable

So I pressed print screen and pasted into Photoshop.

lmfao

Also, anti-right-click scripts are browser dependant. In phoenix, you can subdue them by clicking edit/view source.

If someone here is doing it, inform a mod.

You could also create a referrer-checking script of some sort.

there are hundreds of ways around it..
Options Menu>View Source>copy path of images to browser and save them that way

File>Save As>Save webpage then extract images/etc

Use offline browsers to download the page and do same as above

Clear your temp internet files, gotot the site, then get the file out of the temp's

so in reality, doing it serves almost no purpose, if someone wants to take it, they are gonna take it.

(and yes it is wrong to do so, thank you)

Back