• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bottlenecks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

G2145

i've read that the bottlenecks are the fsb and memory...on an AMD set up you get 400-433 mhz memory, 333 mhz fsb and the bottleneck would be the fsb...hence, the bottleneck, people suggest 333 mhz ddr and 333 fsb to match

my question is...i just ordered a Dell Laptop with a 2.4 ghz/533 mhz fsb with ddr266...is there the same bottleneck in an intel system as there is in an AMD set up?

newbies :bang head

yes there would the exact same bottleneck as the fsb would have more bandwidth than the ram can provide on any system of any type.

gamefoo21 said:
yes there would the exact same bottleneck as the fsb would have more bandwidth than the ram can provide on any system of any type.

Since the FSB has twice the bandwidth as single channel DDR memory, that means FSB is NOT a bottleneck. You never have FSB bottlenecks on single channel P4 platforms. On a dual channel setup, the FSB and memory are usually matched (or the memory is run slower).

thats what i meant the fsb has more bandwidth than the ram can take up....

fsb -> |.....................|

ram -> |.........|

like so no the fsb isn't the bottleneck. but the ram is choking the fsb :p so its the other way around. but if you were to hook up a 533fsb p4 to ddr 400 dual channel then yes the fsb would cause a bottle neck. :D

Last edited:
there's no way around it now, since they don't offer 533 mhz memory for their laptops, PCClub has 533 for the intel desktops.
this will be my first intel and i'm sure it's going to be pretty damn fast

Back