• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

external kits woes...help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

telexen

I fell in love with this idea of an external kit after I saw the Corsair setup...but I feel like I'm digging my own grave here now.

I'm going to build the enclosure for my kit out of plexiglass...won't be a problem. I DO NOT want to put a Power Supply in it though.

I figure I should buy one of those PCI Relay cards, because it would work better than a simple Relay switch because I don't want to run a long 12v wire to a switch in fear of ripping it out somewhere...it just doesn't seem clean...I feel it works just perfectly to run the power cable for a pump back to my computer into that card, not a problem

Now, how am I supposed to power a 120mm fan? Well of course I could run a long 12v wire...NO ...I can buy a fan with an AC end and just plug it into a power strip/outlet...this makes sense, BUT it won't start with the pump when my system turns on, so what's the point of that relay system now?

So my question is, is there some kind of kit I can buy or build to setup both the pump and fan to power on with my system? If not, is there a kit I can buy or builo to manually turn on both at the same time?

How about rather than wiring your pump to the relay, wire a 2way extention cord. Then you can leave the AC plug on the pump, and get the AC fan then plug them in the relay.

I've decided I'm just going to get a PCI relay card and use the molex connector on that, but wrap the 12v around the pumps power cord and slide them into a wire loom...so it will look half decent. Thanks guys.

Back