• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Kingston Hyper X is Da ****nit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclocker456

Everyone always is asking

WHAT MEMORY SHOULD I GET FOR MY DUAL DDR setup.

I just got the kingston PC3500 dual DDR 1GB 512MBx2

I'm running at 422MHz 2/2/2/5/4 EVERYTHING TURNED ON TO THE MAX.. with 2.85v pretty good stuff..

This is on a P4P800

My chip won't let me go any higher.

Nice man, I wish i had better luck with my 2x 512 KHX 3500

I'm using an IC7 though, anything over 250 bus and it wont work, but my OCZ PC3500 is exactly the same so...

This was right after I got a BH7 and actually liked Abit again :p

I have my hyperX pc3200 running at 210fsb 2.6v right now. I changed the northbridge cooler to a passive one, and have to undervolt the northbridge to keep it running cool enough. Once I get a better fan I'll aim for higher fsb, but it seems like only the sky is the limit.

I've heard the hyperX really likes voltage, and that it will keep runnig better and better all the way up to 3.3v or so. (not that I'm testing it...)

Sounds pretty convincing with that hyperX stuff. But, do they run in dynamic addressing mode or in Linear ? Did you buy em as a bundled pair or just 2 at the same time? Cuz, I would like to know if I should turn my Corsair XMS3500C2 in and go for Kingston stuff. They only run in linear mode, but at CL2 just upto 216. BTW you can check the mode they are running in with this lil tool:

ftp://ftp.heise.de/pub/ct/ctsi/ctiaw.zip

its ez to use and pretty much everything is on english. Id be glad to know,

cheers

bear

dropadrop said:
I have my hyperX pc3200 running at 210fsb 2.6v right now. I changed the northbridge cooler to a passive one, and have to undervolt the northbridge to keep it running cool enough. Once I get a better fan I'll aim for higher fsb, but it seems like only the sky is the limit.

I've heard the hyperX really likes voltage, and that it will keep runnig better and better all the way up to 3.3v or so. (not that I'm testing it...)

how did you change the voltage for the northbridge???

bearulez said:
Sounds pretty convincing with that hyperX stuff. But, do they run in dynamic addressing mode or in Linear ? Did you buy em as a bundled pair or just 2 at the same time? Cuz, I would like to know if I should turn my Corsair XMS3500C2 in and go for Kingston stuff. They only run in linear mode, but at CL2 just upto 216. BTW you can check the mode they are running in with this lil tool:

ftp://ftp.heise.de/pub/ct/ctsi/ctiaw.zip

its ez to use and pretty much everything is on english. Id be glad to know,

cheers

bear

I ran the program.. it's linear... I believe all Dual DDR is linear..

Hi overclocker456!
Thanks for checking that out!
I'm not so sure if its all linear. There seems to be a(n) (even) faster mode of addressing ddr memory. Well, thats at least what my mag, german c't tells me. According to Intel there seems to be a Dynamic Addressing Mode in case to 2 sticks are identical in all there values. If there are slight differences, the BIOS must revert to linear which is more stable but a little slower.

Also if the modules are single sided its a bit slower, too. But since you got 1GB (2x512) its sure, yours are doublesided. But theres quite a few singlesided 256mb sticks out there.

Might well be that I'm wrong, all Infos come from one mag. Havent checked at intel at all. But the source is usually reliable and quite nerdy in those matters.

All in all the loss in performance seems to be marginal. (2-5%) But still, if I'm spending 200 bucks on sticks i want the best possible thing.
Maybe Dynamic Addressing Mode is Hype?
Anybody with success?

cheers

bear

PS: I read somewhere here in the forums that by upping agp voltage one would also upp the chipset voltage. Sounds weird though, cuz voltage is between 1.5v and 1.8 in my BIOS. Nothin like 3.3 or so.

And theres the info from Intel:

http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/applnots/25303601.pdf
Havent read it thoroughly yet though!

Last edited:
PS: I read somewhere here in the forums that by upping agp voltage one would also upp the chipset voltage. Sounds weird though, cuz voltage is between 1.5v and 1.8 in my BIOS. Nothin like 3.3 or so.

hmm.. I doubt that increasing the AGP voltage will increase the northbridge voltage.. but maybe it's true.. if anyone has info on this please let me know..

Overclocker456, your chip is holding you WAY back man. PC3500 is rated for 433. AT DDR422, you're running it under spec!

bearulez said:
Sounds pretty convincing with that hyperX stuff. But, do they run in dynamic addressing mode or in Linear ? Did you buy em as a bundled pair or just 2 at the same time? Cuz, I would like to know if I should turn my Corsair XMS3500C2 in and go for Kingston stuff. They only run in linear mode, but at CL2 just upto 216.
I have two pairs of the HyperX PC3500 and both are running in Linear Mode.

2X512Mb and 2X256Mb and they were not bought as pairs. I don't think Kingston sells matched pairs like Corsair. At least, I have not seen them. Don't really see a need for matched pairs with this ram, anyway.

Both pairs are running 2-2-2-5
2X256 on IS7-E @ 2.8vdimm - DDR440
2X512 on P4C800 @ 2.75vdimm - DDR418

Amino said:
Overclocker456, your chip is holding you WAY back man. PC3500 is rated for 433. AT DDR422, you're running it under spec!
He's not running it under spec when you consider that it is rated at 2-3-3-7. He is gaining a lot of bandwidth running it at 2-2-2-5.

Back