• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WineX instillation problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

William

Prodigal Son Moderator
Ok, no problems yet, I just can't get this downloading source thing to work, but might as well reserve a thread for me so far. Using RH 9 on my lappy and have the nvidia drivers and opengl working, I now want to try setting up winex. Anyways, J gave me this guide to install it from source, but there is just a tiny problem. The CVS command in the article isn't working, RH just barfs everytime I type it in saying "bash: cvs: command not found". Any idea how to get this to work.

The article is here: http://www.linuxfusion.net/installwine.htm

You need to install the cvs (Concurrent Version System) client. Its probably packaged in an rpm located on one of the Red Hat install disks.

Alternatively, you can get it here:
http://freshmeat.net/projects/cvs/?topic_id=53,52

Note that at the download page, there are many files available. I did not see any rpms for Red Hat 9, so I would suggest downloading a source tarball and compiliing it yourself. The name of the file I would recommend trying is:
cvs-1.11.5.tar.gz

This is a tar.gz file, or tarball, analogous to a zip file in the Windows world. In order to decompress the tarball and extract its contents, I suggest using the command line. The command is:

tar zxvf cvs-1.11.5.tar.gz

You'll need to navigate (via the cd command) to the directory in which you've saved the tarball. If you save it to your home directory, then you shouldn't have to cd anywhere.

After decompressing the file, you'll find there is a new directory, with the same name as the orginal file, but without the .tar.gz suffix. cd into that directory. Usually there is a readme file that gives further instructions on how to install a package. To view it on the command line:

less README
(press q to quit when done reading)

Generally, the proceedure to install a package from source is as follows:

./configure
make
su
(enter root password when prompted, and press return)
make install

If you need to do anything additional or different to install or configure the package, it should be noted in the README file. After all steps of the process exit without errors, you've successfully installed cvs. You should be able to continue with your installation of WineX at that point.

(BTW, I suggest looking on the RH disks before trying the above method. It will probably be easier).

Ok, got CVS working, now having problems grabbing the source code as outlined in the above article, its not letting me login.

Got the source code, followed rest of article and then got to presumably near the end of installing it and boom!

Registry install failed.

Man, this linux thing isn't fun.

You might want to try runing ./tools/wineinstall first as root, and then again as the user you wish to run WineX under. I've found that method gives the best results.

If you could paste in the error message you're getting, as well as the prior several lines of output, that might be helpful in solving the registry problem.

If CVS WineX is unsuccessful for you, I highly recommend getting a WineX subscribtion and downloading the retail version. Installation is much much simpler (just a matter of installing a rpm or decompressing a tarball). You probably will have better results with some games as well. Do keep in mind though that both Wine and WineX are still very much in development, and therefore, do not always work as expected.

Preparing to install default Wine registry entries...
Installing default Wine registry entries...

wine: chdir to /root/.wine/wineserver-localhost.localdomain : No such file or directory
Registry install failed.

That sounds like the glibc 2.3 issue. Wine / WineX has had compatibility problems with distros that use glibc 2.3, like RH 9 and Mandrake 9.1. You can try creating the directory it complains about (mkdir /root/.wine/wineserver-localhost.localdomain ), but you'll likely recieve a socket error when you run WineX again.

There really isn't much of anything you can do about this problem, sorry. I suggest trying the retail version of WineX, as the glibc problem has been fixed in it for some time now. I would have thought that Transgaming fixed it in CVS by now, but apparently not.

Sorry I can't be of more help :(

William, if you're hitting the glibc 2.3 issue, paying to get the prepackaged WineX RPM fixes this. (worked for me, at least) I'd recommend going that way, it'll save you quite a bit of headache.

Back