• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Walk me through the ne MB process

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nikolasmor

Ok I buy the NF7-s 2.0, I get the AMD 1700 DLT3C. Get a stick of 512MB TwinMos 3200 (WinBond). Everything sound good so far?
Then I format my HardDrive. Unpower and unplug everything take all my cards out unscrew the MB. Put in the new one, put my cards back in. plug back in my monitor mouse and keyboard plug the computer back in and boot up. Install Windows. Load up my internet crap update to bios 1.4. Then install all my crap. Is all that right? Then I want to start messing with my bios.
1. Is my sequence correct?
2. Do I need to install a sound card or use onboard sound?
3. What is the optimal way to adjust my settings? Just jump it up to 227 FSB?
4. What is an optimal multiplier? 4a. is that changed in the bios also?
5. What is an optimal memory setting?
6. What can I get this CPU up to STABLY without physically modding the actual motherboard?

Thank You so much in advance?

Get 2x256 or 2x512 mem instead of 1x512 so you can use the DC=Dual channel feature.

you don't want to jump from 133 to 227, you want to increase the fsb in steps. first thing to do is to lower the multiplyer for the XP1700 to somewhere like 7.5, this way you'll be able to find your max fsb without the processor limiting you. once you determine your highest fsb then you start raising the multiplyer and testing for stability.

as for the sound, unless you have a Audigy2 or equivelent card then the Soundstorm onboard audio is the way to go.

i usually run 3DMark2K1 in a loop 10 times. once the computer fails to complete 3DMark i back the overclock down and test with Prime95 for 4-6 hours.

once i hit the point that i can run Prime95 for 6 hours i'm pretty much satisfied that it's stable, then the next time i'll be away for a while (or just not able to use my computer) i'll run Prime95 for atleast 12 hours.

Prime95, 3dmark 2001 and 2003, pcmark, memtest, superPI, folding@home, seti@home, toast, cpuburn, sandra, are just to name a few us overclocker's use I myself only mess with prime95,sandra,pcmark, and 3dmark o yea and sometimes fold.

technically, there's not really a 'correct' way, everybody has their own methods. you should be good to go, just make sure you got your fans plugged in (i made that mistake once, almost had a heart attack).

oh yeah, all the bios settings for the memory will have to be figured out while overclocking. no two pieces of hardware overclock the same.

If you are just starting with overclocking (and it looks like you are) you can read this topic that will help you :)

Back