• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4C800 DELUXE 4 minute boottime

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fruitcake173

Registered
I just bought a new rig see sig, i ve put all the parts in myselfe, never did that before, now here is the thing, when i reboot it takes about 4 minutes !! man i hate waiting thats why i bought a new computer, after it has booted up the computer works fine, its just the booting that takes such a long time, is it possible i ve connected someting wrong?!? or something else it cant be a virii cos the computer wasnot connected to the internet yet and all i did was install winxp on it.

sounds like something is amiss. I am using a similar setup and it screams through post. If your not using the promise raid you can shut that off in the bios. There is a setting in the bios that says plug and play os wich is defaulted to off as well you could try changing to on and see if that helps. You could also try changing the boot priority list in the bios and see if that speeds up things a little. I usually have the hard disk as first priority. You can always change it to the cd rom first later if need be.

this all goes assuming you have checked all your connections and such. If you have your hard drive and cd rom daisy chained make sure you have the master slave setup correctly. try putting the hard disk and cd rom on seperate channels if you are unsure.

Freezermug pretty much covered it. If your not sure read your MB manual. It doesn't explain al your BISO options, but does give most info needed to help make sure your setup is correct. The BIOS default settings will not be correct for all. I suspect that is the culprit as well.

okay got home and changed a few things, 1st i had the jumper on the hdd set to master w/slave but there was no slave, 2nd i had it to boot from floppy first and i have no floppy that worked it boots in 1,5 minute or so now :)) i can sleep a lot better now thx guys

Ive seen this when you have a lot of USB devices connected or if the USB headers are connected wrong. It could also be an IRQ misconfiguration issue.
Unplug all your devices and see if it makes a difference.

Back