• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair Twinx

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ArE_eYe_SeE_kAy

Can someone please tell me if the whole Corsair Twinx memory marketing is a gimmic or worthy of the extra buckos to have a tested/matched pair? Why not just buy 2 individual stick on ebay for a cheaper total price than buying a matched pair?

I looked on a few websites and the TwinX option costs ~£3 more than the 2x single ones. I think that matching the sticks means that you can guarantee that they'll crap out at the same FSB, if that's any use.

Almost wish i had done this before bidding on ebay, but i did get one stick for about $20 less than a buying off any website, and it's on a new stick. That's a significant savings over the price of getting them in pairs.

Does anyone think it's possible to get a good set to use on a dual channel ddr mobo by buying them separately?

Yeah at first i thought this was a gimmick as well, but there seem to be good reasons for pairing up matching sticks:

Check this link here:

http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/applnots/25303601.pdf

It explains a Dynamic Paging Mode that is only then possible, if modules are exactly the same. The tolerances seem to be quite narrow, cuz i bought 2 corsair 256 xms3500c2 and i got linear mode. Not sure if this is a chipset or BIOS issue though!

cheers

bear

mobo is asus p4p800dlx BIOS 1008.004

Back