• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dissapointed with fortron 350w

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shan

OK, I got mah fortron 350w today. Plugged it. booted up my pc. Everything seemed to be flawless. However, after 25 Minz Prime95, it started giving my lockups. I had to reboot my pc. I know my temp was kinda high (57C). But with my Enermax 350w, it's never given any lockup @ high temp. I have to RMA fortron back to NewEgg. Anyways, I will get the refurbished True430w from newegg. Hopefully, I won't need to RMA it.
p.s: Fortron did give me better rails, maybe around 0.08v better than Enermax. but it didn't give me the stability.

it is the power supply. I used the same setting, same hardware, everything was the same except the PSU. Its 5v gave me 4.84v @ full loading, which I didn't like that much.

57 degrees actually is well within the spec of an amd or p4 chip.. so yea.. but i still dont think it was the fortron if it was giving u better rails, unless they were fluctuating a lot

yes, it was fluctuating, but not a lot. always switching between 4.84 and 4.87. Enermax gave me 4.74~4.76. I got 57C, cuz of my room temp, it's so hot these days. if I lower it to 2.12GHz and 1.65v, it gives me 42C idle and 48C load, case temp is 41~43C. since it's stable, I don't really care about the temp.

my mobo is not nf2, I think nf2 gives lower temp or my kx7_333r gives higher temp. I really doubt the temp difference is that big.

I don't think it's the psu.. i have everything at max voltages or volt modded cpu 1.875 with 10 fans 2 hdds and cdrom and whats in my sig with a Fortron350.. My rails are at 5.10 12.25 3.38. You can't trust the what it says your rails are at all in bios or program. Also you can adjust the rails on these. I don't see how your pc could possibly be stable at that temps at 2.4Ghz

I don't really trust those rails. But I do trust my own exp. with both PSUz. Enermax does the better job. I am running my pc around 24/7 @ school. I am a hardcore CSer. So I play it a lot everyday, never got a single lockup. Like I said, I think my kx7_333 gives me high temp. when I touch the waterblock, it's just warm.

seems weird that the voltages are now closer to spec and don't fluctuate more with the fortron 350 and you get worse results...

i say stick the enermax 350 back in and see what happens...because you said that your room was hotter and the cpu temps are ridiculously high...

i had a dual p3 tualatin that when the temps went over 55C i got crashes that i didn't get when the temps were lower

i dont see how enermax does a better job, fortron produces quality supplies..

yes, enermax does have a 2nd fan, but I turn it off. 2nd fan is 2 noisy

28521227.jpg

save as... first if you can not see it clearly. this is from Enermax

"Save As" didn't help. I can't read it. Can you just summarize.

I wonder if the problem with the Fortron wasn't transient response problems. (How quickly and smoothly it recovers from a sudden change in current draw.) Bad transient response is not something you can detect with a voltmeter, but it can certainly cause stability problems.

Do you run Folding or anything that keeps your load high continously? I would guess that might reduce the effect of transient response problems, because there wouldn't be big swings in current draw as the CPU goes from idle to fully loaded and vice versa.

Hawky said:
this is a really wierd situation. Try a friends PSU to see what happends .

He just tried his old Enermax, and I'm guessing (because I can't actually read that screenshot) that everything worked fine as before.

The continuing chorus of, "It can't possibly be a Fortron supply problem." is truly ridiculous.

The continuing chorus of, "It can't possibly be a Fortron supply problem." is truly ridiculous. [/B]

i think most of us would say the same thing if he had an Antec power supply (or a pc power and cooling) with the same problem...

you don't think your suggestion of transient response problems is a little far fetched?

how many cpu's have you run at 57C and for how long?

Back