• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what are your sys specs?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jonwessel

I'm just trying to get a feel of where I am with my system and where i need to upgrade. Here's my sys specs, plz try to follow format so everyone can be on same page:

Vendor (optional): Dell

Model (optional): Dimension Desktop 4300

CPU: Pentium 4 @ stock speed of 1.6GHz

MoBo: Intel Pentium 4 Northwood B 478

Mem: 128MB of PC-133 SDRAM

GPU: PNY Verto Geforce4 Ti4200 64MB 310/540

Sound: Built-in AC97

HD: 20GB 72000RPM 8MB buffer, i don't know who made it

Monitor: 15inch (13.8" viewable) Dell CRT monitor

Mouse: (my pride and joy) MS intellimouse wireless Explorer 3.0

Speaker/Headphones: Headphones, wireless RCA regharble

Case: Dell made

CD-ROM; Who cares

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

Your going to need to get a new case/psu

Those dells only work on dell motherboards, which you should also upgrade.

Switcing to DDR ram 512mb...will blow you out of the water, compaired to what you've got now.

I had that same setup in a compaq and my mem bandwidth scores were in the low 300's, i now have an AMD with less bandwidth then your CPU and i get 3,500!

You'd be shocked at how large of a bottle neck to your system that ram is.

Get an ausus p4pe, 512mb of corsair pc3200 a nice case and a sparkle PSU.

Those 1.6b's out of hte dells are known to hit 2.5ghz dude!

you have a gold mine and you dont even know it.

Total cost of upgrade would be <$500

why wouldn't other Mobos fit in my case, my dell even has the sliding panel out Mobo and it's ATX form factor. My mobo is fine since it supports my hardware, i think all i need is more/better cooling and ram and i'll be set, maybe down the road (3 months) get a nice 400W PSU, and ur right, with those upgrades, i will then have a gold-mine

all 3 of those upgrades should only cost bout $200

jonwessel said:
why wouldn't other Mobos fit in my case, my dell even has the sliding panel out Mobo and it's ATX form factor. My mobo is fine since it supports my hardware, i think all i need is more/better cooling and ram and i'll be set, maybe down the road (3 months) get a nice 400W PSU, and ur right, with those upgrades, i will then have a gold-mine

all 3 of those upgrades should only cost bout $200

Well first of all the PSU's that come with dells have a different setup then all other ATX boards. It'll fry any other motherboard.

And there is no better ram to get for your motherboard but the SDram is murdering it!

jonwessel said:
I'm just trying to get a feel of where I am with my system and where i need to upgrade. Here's my sys specs, plz try to follow format so everyone can be on same page:

Vendor (optional): Dell

Model (optional): Dimension Desktop 4300

CPU: Pentium 4 @ stock speed of 1.6GHz

MoBo: Intel Pentium 4 Northwood B 478

Mem: 128MB of PC-133 SDRAM

GPU: PNY Verto Geforce4 Ti4200 64MB 310/540

Sound: Built-in AC97

HD: 20GB 72000RPM 8MB buffer, i don't know who made it

Monitor: 15inch (13.8" viewable) Dell CRT monitor

Mouse: (my pride and joy) MS intellimouse wireless Explorer 3.0

Speaker/Headphones: Headphones, wireless RCA regharble

Case: Dell made

CD-ROM; Who cares

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

ok if your only looking to upgrade and not make a new system

upgrade your ram

get another 256mb/512mb

also you could get a new monitor

you could upgrade it for now, then when all the dx9 games come out you can just get a new system, because it will be a pain in the *** to upgrade all thee system components

you could rip the dell down for parts, then make a new system

and set your dell up as a server/second computer

also your DELL motherboard you cant change the FSB, so yoyu wont be able to overclock

if i were you, either upgrade now

or get a new system

i'd upgrade now

and build a new system when half-life2/d3 ocmes out

but if you decided to go with a system now this might help

this my suggestion im trying to keep this pretty affordable

$50 350 watt fortron/sparkle psu
$50 good case
$20 HS
$20 fans
$120 512mb DDR ram (price varies on how fast it is)
$90 2500 barton
$130 abit nf7-s motherboard
$80 80gb wd special edition 7200rpm 8mb cache hdd
$250 9700/9700 pro

the abit-nf7-s has soundstorm

thats just an estimate of 810 dollars

plus your periphials and all the xtras

Last edited:
how do the dell psu have diff setups than other psu's it says it's a universal. Plus i'm amlost 15 yrs old, I need to be putting like 70 percent of my earned money toward a car, so I think I'm just going to get a stick of 512mb of pc-133 and that will probably improve my system dramtically. I can't OC my fsb cause it's a dell. But 1.6 is still a nice clock speed. So i'm not buying new HSF cause I can't OC it at all. I might upgrade a cheap ATX case for around 65 or 80 dollars and that'll be it.

if your not going to overclock there is no reason to buy a new case or a new PSU...128mb to 512mb or ram will indeed improve performance but 128mb of pc133 to 128mb of pc2700 would make a HUGE difference.

but in order to do that you'd need a new motherboard, and in order to do that you'd need a new PSU.

If you dont want to belive me about the PSU thats fine...but i'm telling you the truth.

well in that case I'll jsut get the 512 mb of pc-133 and add it to my 128mb oc pc-133, and then I'll have a lot of memore, and since it's only 34 dollars on ebay i'll just make my sys have 1Gb of pc-133

*sigh*

it's your money and your computer...do what you want.

Your CPU is "putting out information" to the system memory at a rate of 533mhz, your ram is only getting it at 133mhz

Granted both the ram and the FSB are running at 133mhz the CPU's FSB is quad pumped....

No matter HOW much memory you have it's going to be a bottle neck, Your computer will never use more then 512mb of ram unless your playing doom 3 (maybe) or doing heavy CAD work.

most new dells i have been told now use an ATX form factor the 8200 and above. and u can use regular power supplies on them as well

this info came from the dell forums.

Last edited:
Sounds like an ok upgrade.

If you are on a tight budget (like me), check out their refurb section.... you can sometimes find good deals there too.

Also- dunno if I'm out of line for saying this: but the forums classifieds also have some good deals once in a while. You might find a decent motherboard and ram there for the right price. But you need a few more non-spam posts.

If I were you, I would hold off just a liiiiitle bit more until you gain access to the classifeds.

~Jeff

jonwessel said:
wait, didn't somebody say that I needed a new case cause of something of the board??

The case will work fine, they just have crappy airflow...you will need a new PSU or you'll find a melted motherboard inside of your dell case.

see sig for main specs

My rig is not currently running due to case modding (and new case) and water chiller change over.

The new chiller is a haake refriegerated water bath.
New case is a yeong yang cube case with an oval window in the top i just put in.

Not to change the subject but Windows ME is NOT a good OS, if you want more inforamtion aboutr windows ME post about in the M$ OS part of this fourm.

Why not get the IS7-E? It's got the springdale chipset so you can upgrade to a 800 fsb cpu later and keep everything else. You can get ddr266, 333, 400 memory for this board too.

The Fortron 350w is half the price and will put out 440w.

-Bobby

Back