• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooking roaches with RF inside a PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

star882

Disabled
I saw my 800MHz Pentium 3 emit smoke from the PSU, but the machine was still running!
I was thinking, "How can a computer's electronics smoke, and the machine still work?"
I powered off the machine, opened up the PSU(200w Dell), and look at what I found!
010703-fried%20roach.JPG

What happened is that the roach touched both the case and the heatsink, and because the heatsink has 700v P-P at 100KHz, the RF starts frying the roach.
The machine is fine.;)

:eek:
Smoke coming out of my machine would freak me out.
Wasn't there something like this posted awhile ago, but a snake had crawled inside instead?

Yea I remember the snake pic. Makes you think.. if there are even roaches in your pc... where else are they?

That is pretty sick. In the computer store I work at, we have had a few people come in with dead roaches in the bootom of the case. It was disgusting. The techs used gloves to clean the computer. The people were pretty wierd that brought it in.

"Bet that smelled great. Did you cover him in chocolate and have yourself a crunchy treat?."
That reminds me of the video card benchmark called Fear Factor.

"Yuck man you have roaches!?! I guess he learned his lesson, lol. How did he get past the fan?"
The roach probably went in the other way(the machine doesn't have a case).

Nasty!

On a side note... if you click on the quote button on someone's post you'll actually get the quote feature.

Roaches are disgusting. I was in Charleston S.C. and they were all over the place. When I would go skate at night I would see the everywhere. I must have killed like 150 of them in like 5 days. :p

gotta love that! and i've seen various things like that in all kinds of electronics.

and if u live anywhere in fl, roaches are a thing. Just get used to them. I have yet to visit someones house where there wasn't a roach of some kind there.

on a side note of better things to see in better places, try a snake that's wrapped himself through the piping of a toilet, so that only his head pops out. And he can pull it in and not be seen. Now, that was fun, after that i think every person that saw it hovered over any toilet they went to use for months. haha..

star882 said:
I saw my 800MHz Pentium 3 emit smoke from the PSU, but the machine was still running!
I was thinking, "How can a computer's electronics smoke, and the machine still work?"
I powered off the machine, opened up the PSU(200w Dell), and look at what I found!
010703-fried%20roach.JPG

What happened is that the roach touched both the case and the heatsink, and because the heatsink has 700v P-P at 100KHz, the RF starts frying the roach.
The machine is fine.;)

thats hilarious

howd that little guy get in there anyway lol?

The demise of your roach has nothing to do with RFI. The fact that it touched both a power source and ground allowed it to be electrocuted, RFI is an entirely seperate entity unrelated to the roach's demise.

truly a marvel of what technology can do these days... not only run quickly and play great games... but it exterminates too!

Back