• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

This power cable connects to?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hungry Jack

Registered
Aye yi yi, there's a lot of power cables coming from the PSU...

I have an Antec 1080 AMG with a 430W Truepower PSU. I'm new to putting a system together and the power cables have confused me. It seems that they're not all equal...

For starters, there are multiple connections for each cable. There is one that says, "Fan only" and that has two connections on it. Does that mean I can only connect two fans? Do I use the same cable for two fans or just one? The cables coming from the fans also have two connections. Do I connect fans together and just use one power cable to power them all? The 'Fan Only' cables also only have two wires running into the plugs, a yellow and black, which is odd since the fans have four...

With the other cables, there are three connections on each cable. To make matters more confusing, there are different plugs. Two of the cables with three connections have two of the same connection (these fit the power plugs on the devices) but one of the plugs is a small one. A third cable has the same three plugs (all power plugs that fit the devices).

A fourth cable has only one connection but it's a weird setup and doesn't seem to fit anywhere.

I've already plugged the two motherboard connectors in as well as the PSU fan cable, so all I have to do is figure out which power cable fits which device.

There is one that says, "Fan only" and that has two connections on it. Does that mean I can only connect two fans?
Connect as many fans as you want to this

Two of the cables with three connections have two of the same connection (these fit the power plugs on the devices) but one of the plugs is a small one.
I believe the small one your talking about is the power for floppy drives and such.

A fourth cable has only one connection but it's a weird setup and doesn't seem to fit anywhere.
Either the P IV Connector or the AUX Power Connector.

Your question is all over the place to a point at which I am now confused. I'll try and put answers in your language.

The connections which you describe as fitting the devices are known as molex connectors, and yes they are used to supply power to the devices.

Firstly, on the molex the four cables are:

Red - 5 volt
Yellow - 12 volt
2 x Black - ground

The smaller connector is indeed for floppy drive, expansion cards and the like.

The reason the fans have all wires present is that they can run on either 5v or 12v, 5 volt running them slower hence less noise.

The fan only connectors are connected to max 3 fans and both supply 12v. You may also have a fan speed monitor cable.

The fourth doesn't go anywhere, it is an auxiliary cable and is probably not supported by your board.

Actually is the "4th connector" you talk about flat and black in color, it could be a power connector for a SATA Drive, I just put together a new rig and the PSU (ISO 430W) came with 2 SATA power connectors, it seems some PSu manufactures are adding this feature...

Back