• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unexpected Watercooling side effect...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Maxvla

with a waterblock on my cpu my northbridge no longer gets air passing over it. its a 845E chipset board and its running at 200mhz when its designed for 100 and 133mhz. needless to say i can burn myself on it if i left my finger on the heatsink long enough.

bios says its at 75 degrees at full load. i turned my box fan to the side of my case and it immediately lowered it to 50 degrees. without the fan it will lock up and reboot in gaming.

putting a fan on my board really defeats the purpose of watercooling. i guess i just need to upgrade to a newer chipset that can run 200mhz cold/cool. not worth putting a nb block on this old board.

oh sorry, did you type something? I was staring at your avatar :D

But yeah, upgrades are always fun ;)

what? uh.. water cooling? on asian girls? oooh..

oh, wait.. crap. computers... well if you're hungry you could fry yourself an egg on that...

no not on the chipset, on the asian chick :D

ok boys... if i can direct your attention to the thread... ;)

Maxvla said:
ok boys... if i can direct your attention to the thread... ;)

i dont really know about water cooling.. i dont know what i'm doing here :) but hmm, what is a box fan exactly?

boxfan.jpg

ya, i guess a fan is kinda dorky on a wc system.. especially if you have to use that thingy to blow air into your case lol.. happy upgrading sir. oh ya, almost forgot to ask.. how the hell did you get 10 stars? [edit] the forum policy thread only goes up to 9 stars

OLMI said:
ya, i guess a fan is kinda dorky on a wc system.. especially if you have to use that thingy to blow air into your case lol.. happy upgrading sir. oh ya, almost forgot to ask.. how the hell did you get 10 stars? [edit] the forum policy thread only goes up to 9 stars
all staff ranks have 10 stars. blues, reds, greens are all 10 regardless of post count.

To get back onto topic...as difficult as that may be ;)

Originally posted by He of the Asian Avatars
not worth putting a nb block on this old board.

I will disagree, and so does your system.
That's 2 to 1, so put an HSF on there, NOW! :D

Seriously- the rest of the system is holding up under the pressure of overclocking to that point, but the NB is not due to temps.
A small HSF will add little or no noise but should let you get rid of the box fan at least!

Of course, it IS your system, but if that one fix will make a substantial improvement in perfromance I think it is a mistake to skip it.

Excuse the messy cables, it's being worked on ;)

P5090002.JPG

that's one of the thermalright heatsinks(below the sk6). Thermal adhesive is great :)

Back