• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Celeron 1.2 Woes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pwnt by pat

im having some trouble overclocking a celeron 1.2. my friend and i spent a couple of hours trying to even find out the motherboard. i read in his system book that its an ASUS and after a little reasearch we came to the conclusion that its a ASUS intel 810-e. thats as close as we could get. HP isnt very good at keeping track of what parts they use in their comps. their tech support didnt help much either. we also tried to upgrade the bios but noticed no difference between the old and new.

HP pavillion 520w
asus intel 810-e
intel celeron 1.2 - 100 fsb
award bios v6.0

we cant get to the fsb or the clock multiplier through the bios and are looking for any help. do we need new bios? to unlock the board somehow?

We would apreciate anything that anyone out there could offer. Thnx for the help.

You need to look for the PLL chip on your mobo. Look it up on the net for pictures of what they look like. When you find it on your mobo, (it'll probably be made by ICworks or Cyprus or Winbond), download SoftFSB and also CPUFSB. In the lists in these programs check for your PLL.
If it is in there, then you can use the program to tell the PLL chip to change the FSB through windows. they should work fine.
If it is not in the list, download the datasheet for the PLL from the maker, and make your own PLL file for SoftFSB.
When you try to overclock it, is the PLL will only allow a big jump in FSb, say 100to 112 or 124, then you may need to do a voltag emod to your CPU to increase it's Vcore, to allow it to run at these speeds (as some 1.2GHz celerons don't like running too high without a voltage increase).

Also, with Intel chips you can't change the multiplier, only the FSB (unless it's an engineering sample, and I doubt you'd have one of those).

thanks. i thought that certain intel chips were multiplier unlocked and just the locked ones were teh p3 and up. i guess im wrong.

im having some touble finding the pll chip. on the mb there are only two crystals and there is no pll chip by either,

one has three chips by it, but again, none look like the pll.
smsc ~ 1cm x 1.5 cm x 1 mm high - lpc47m142-ncd0138-a9362-8h106973 American megtrenos 1994
Taimag ~ 5. cm x 1 cm x 2 mm high - HA-003 0148
RMC ~ 1.5 cm x 2 cm x 1 mm high - rtl8001 1928t1

by the second crystal there is a chip that looks like the pll from the pictures ive found, but it has no label on it what so ever.

also i have not been able to identify my board, the closest i have to what it is is asus tuw-la.

http://www.hp.com/cposupport/personal_computing/support_doc/bph07027.html

It's a stripped down OEM version of an Asus mobo. You might be in luck after all. Maybe the softFSB program will work, it's worth a try. Here is a pic of his mobo, let's help him find the PLL chip. Isn't in the upper left area? Between the CMOS battery and ATX power connector, just above the RAM slots? I'm not sure since I don't have my reading glasses with me and I've never had this mobo.

bph07027-1.gif

Last edited:
that was the one i thought would be it but on the chip, if there was anything on it, it is now worn of or burnt off. nothing but a black chip now. kind of sucks for iding the think.

ah hah. with the aid of a lamp posing as a flash light i was able to find the chips maker - ics 9248xx-112. the pll isnt in softfsb but it is in cpufsb. now to get the model number for the board.

pwnt by pat said:
now to get the model number for the board.

you shouldn't need the model number of the board.
with the PLL chip identified, you should be able to just use whatever settings cpufsb gives you.

i cant seem to figure out how to use CPUFSB. just tweak a frequency and then save it? what should they all be set to? And would SoftFSB be better to use? If it is better where can i get a data sheet for my ICS 9248-112? Sorry about all the questions, its just that we all have to learn somehow.

Back