• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tested psu out without mobo..here are results..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

phenolite

As you may or may not recall, i tested psu in case w/dead mobo...

results:

12v was 12.7X (too high)
3.3 was fine
5.0 was fine

now, i tested it out of case by shorting green and black, and putting a 1.1k ohm resistor from red to black

results:

12v: 11.90
3.3v: 3.3
5-0v: 5.1

now, i am very tempted to put this psu in my new setup. infact, i'm gonna do it tonite. any objections?

big correction too: it is a 400w antec, not 350w sorry
now i have to figure out what i am going to do with the new thermaltake 420w that is on its way :p

anyone else have objections to me putting in this psu? I know the volts while connected to old mobo were horrid, but, there seems to be hope, and i'd really like to give my system a try.

any other objections?

i wish it was 430w, hawky ;). it is 400w. the only reason i am hesitant, and requesting input is because of the initial voltages with the dead mobo. I have been told, however to not trust voltages and dead mobos, as they are inaccurate sometimes.

I have a theory that the voltage with the dead mobo were high because there was less resistance coming from the mobo.

Some PSUs require minimum loads or they won't give out accurate voltages, like a 350W Antec SmartPower wants at least 0.5A-1.5A on each rail, but one cheapo brand wants as much as 5A on the +5V.

Your PSU looks fine to me... this is the pp403x right? If my own CWT version of the pp412x is any indication it should work well for you.

Everything looks good, IMO.

PSUs can behave differently, with and without a load. I recently tested 4 Lite-On 300W PSUs, and the 12v rail dipped a bit, under load, as opposed to "no load".

The test required me to put a load on the +5v rail, as it seems to slightly affect the 12v output levels. You can easily duplicate this test, with a properly selected power resistor.

well...here are results of trying psu

booted system, fans went on, woo hoo..no monitor for awhile, so i pressed powerbutton, monitor came on JUST as i pressed powerbutton..GAH

so, tried to restart...and it turns on and then right back off, i have no clue, hoping it is psu, and i really hope i didn't fry another board...if i did, then i'm not going to use a computer ever again...no...seriously

i'm gonna wait for the crappo company entitled http://www.svc.com to ship my new psu..god that company is run by retards...ah well

gonna go use my hardware as clay pigeons ;)

I'm saying that you can't be sure without trying different loads, all the way from the minimum to the rated maximum amps. At the very least, you need to measure the amps going into that dead mobo, which isn't easy unless you can borrow a clamp-on amp probe designed for DC (most are for AC only). I think that your dead mobo is drawing a couple of amps from the +3.3V or +5V, and this is causing the +12V to run higher. Most switching PSUs put out less voltage at both heavy loads and very light loads. Can you try the PSU without connecting it to the mobo but while loading the +3.3V with a 1 ohm, 20 watt resistor and the +5V with a 2 ohm, 20 watt resistor or the equivalents and then measuring the +12V rail?

Back