• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

why is it really only 10/100mbit?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ToiletDuck

Why is it? Why can I overclock my PC or overclock my NIC and make it do 150mbps? What's the deal with it? What's wrong with this idea?
Duck

Also is it possible to connect two computers together using firewire or USB 2.0?

You can network with USB. You can network with Firewire. It's not really networking, but Direct Cable Connection.

And as far a overclocking your NIC, the transfer speed is a hardware limitation.

If you want more speed, go buy some 1000 mb/s NIC's and go to town.

Actually if i remember correctly there is software available to allow ethernet over firewire. several computers could be connected to a firewire hub, or daisy chained together.

the USB link would be basically a direct connection though.

actually firewire was designed with networking in mind, unlike USB(which requires a special cable with a controller in it) firewire can be directly connected with normal firewire cable.

So i just need to get two PCI cards that are Firewire capable and just plug the wire into both computers?

The question is "Why?" A pair of NICs and a cheap piece of CAT5 is way cheaper and easier.

Because cat5 can only got at 100mbps. With several drives in raid I eat that up quick. I have a usb PCI card. Is there a way I could run usb cable from one computer to another and use it's 400+mbps?

there is USB networking for USB 1.1 but you need a special cable and software. i dont know if it works with USB 2.0 though. Firewire networking is pretty much plug and play with winxp.

There are other types of setups. If you want to go fiber you can get a gigabit network setup. But cat5 stops at 100mbit.

Wiz4rd said:
There are other types of setups. If you want to go fiber you can get a gigabit network setup. But cat5 stops at 100mbit.

You can run gigabit over copper. GbE uses all eight wires, instead of the 4 used by 10/100, so cat5 is sufficient for gigabit ethernet. For long cable runs and peace of mind cat5e or cat6 is better and actually doesn't cost a whole lot more.

@ToiletDuck
You could probably get two gigabit cards and a gigabit crossover for $95. I don't know whether or not that's worth it to you, but it definitely gives you more future networking options than firewire or USB would.

I thought usb 2.0 was like 480megabytes a second total. That's far more than the 125megabytes on gigabit

Back