• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need security advice - I am an Idiot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mime_is_money

Here is my tale of woe:

I know I am an idiot, so let's hget that out of teh way right off.

I sold some games on ebay this weekend, guy emails me.

Blah, blah... paypal payment... looked good... etc... so I proceded

He asked if I could post the software to a sever so he could down load in addition to me ship... here is where the fun begins

He had my dynamic IP address from my ISP.

I uploaded / file shared software via a DC++ program HE sent me.

I only copy / pasted the folders with the software to the server link he gave me.

I left my computer on for 4-5 hours to allow transfer.

Paypal informed me of the fraud next day.

I freaked and bought McAfee Int Sec 5.0 and am now running firewall anbd doing all teh scans, etc. PLus upgraded to XP Pro from Win ME. Full updates installed.

I changed all of my passwords to pay pal, ebay, bank, etc.

Here are my questions:

1. How screwed am I? Other than being stupid in general and scammed?

2. Do I need to switch ISP and close all of my accounts? Scrub my computer and reinstall everything?

3. Could he have had access to more than the shared files I sent?

4. My Firewall has been getting lots of blocked inc TCP and UDP alarms. Should I worry? My breif search on internet show that this number of hits is not uncommon and that my Firewall is just doing its job. True? I had one SYN Port Scan Attack alert. Is thsi common. Basically is it likely that this is the same guy or just the random snooping on the internet.

5. How effective are the scans I've done and my firewall? Could they have missed something that he did/placed?

Thanks guys... go ahead and have a good laugh at me, I know I am an idiot... but please help cuz I am a little freaked....

I know enough about this stuff to get me introuble but not get out of it.

I basically need to know if I am overreacting or not doing enough. My ISP tech support can't tell me much... go figure. And I really don't want to redo my entire internet life if possible.

During my brain fart I was running Windows ME with no virus/firewall.

Thanks

I do not believe he got much more than what you gave him. Depends on what personal info you keep on that system. On my system I keep nothing about my bank or credit cards....

I pay my bills online and havve paypal account, etc...

but I don't actually store my acct numbers anywhere.

The one bad thing is our last years tax info is on here.

I am really hoping that he just "dine and dashed" with the stuff he scammed me for and that the hits to my new firewall are just random.

Thanks for the post!!!!

I would press after ebay to get his info just in case. Likely he hasn't got much, but it is possible. I would still however, try to take legal action against him, just to get something like this on his record.

Your firewall should help you now, although I do prefer zone alarm and norton anti-virus, but that's essentially just a personaly preference.

Back