• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Shutdown issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hrdwrjnkie

HAving some problems with the shutdown feature on my nwe board. It's a Chaintech cheapie and I'm trying to nail the problem.

Three key issues:

1. No soft reboot from anywhere (Windows, linux, or CTRL+ALT+DEL during boot. OS will shut down, but computer will just hang and quit sending video signal altogether. A tap of the case's reset button cures this, though.

2. No reboot period from Windows. Or shutdown. Or logoff. The only thing I can do is switch user to get to the welcome screen, then click on turn off in the lower corner. This is the only way that I can get out of Windows.

3. Linux halts fine, but still will not soft reboot.

I have tried reinstalling Windows, Linux and all my programs to no avail. Any ideas at all are appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Steve

Double check your wire connections to the motherboard from the case. Some may have been miss printed in the manual or you may need to reverse the connection from how it is now.

Windows can't reboot your system if it can't see the case connections correctly. :D

Nope. All case connections are setup correctly. Also, Windows refuses to even log off to the welcome screen. Tried reinstalling (repairing) Windows to no avail. Hoping I don't have to completely format and start over again. :(

I am having a similar problem with windows xp home, but it only happens every once in a while, but when I tell it to shut down, it just sits so I hit the little restart button and it acts like everything was fine (no disk check).

Back