• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2.6c from Hell or should I say Philippines ...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

_maximilian_

Just my luck, my 2.6c wont OC for ****

This is irritating the hell out of me guys so please try and help me out if possible.

A few days ago I got my new hardware which I chose after considerable research. I got a P4 2.6c SL6WH PHIl 2 x 256mb PC3500 C2 corsair en the Abit 1c7.

First thing I did (after a fresh install of winxp) was to try and see how far I could go with the ram @ 1:1 raio, I got as far as 225mhz with 2.7v cas2. Next I did was to see how far the CPU would go, see I set the ratio @ 5:4 and pushed the FSB to 230 but that was a no go, so I rebooted increased the CPU voltage to 1.6 and tried again. But I got 1 error in prime95 after only a few minutes. Next thing I did was 245FSB @ 1.65 volt, that didn’t work either, windows didn’t even boot. :mad:

So I ask you, why wont my system overclock. I’m using an Antec truepower 430watt, with an Alpha 8942 for cooling but my temps are ridiculously high. They as high as 48 idle and 65 stress!! Jesus that’s mad. I even replaced the cooler with the retail intel cooler and got higher temps, I tried removing the cooler and applying new thermal paste just in case without luck.

I’m really going mad here, I was at leas hoping for 3.4+Ghz @ 5:4.

I feel for you really! But here are some thing you can try.
Try downloading 1.4 BIOS ( gives me the best performance and stability 262 FSB ) from ABIT site
www.abit.com.tw and that program that lets you update your BIOS from Windows ( Sadly I can't provide you with link I'm at work and don't have much time but I'm sure that some of the guys will be able to help you out on that one )
Before updating let everything be set to defaults ( no o/c no increased voltages )

Then set 2 last "gaming" options manually to "disabled" ( In advance chipset ) And then try to o/c.

Thing is before I updated my BIOS I couldn't use dividers at all. But now I can and I'm at 262.

Have you tested your RAM with memtest? Temps are OK belive me! I have w/c and 2,6 @ 3,4 @ 1.65 V and my temps are 45-62 so I wouldn't worry about that.

So check your RAM update BIOS use relaxed timings try your luck and let us know how did it go !

Good luck !

tnx for that, well i'm using the 1.5 bios, don't know if going back to 1.4 will change anything.

i'll try the gaming option thing you mentioned and post the reults later.

And yes I did ran the memtest, it was all stable @ 225 cas 2.5 with no errors.

I would not go back to the 1.4 BIOS yet, in fact I've heard some people have trouble with the 1.4 undate. Well... 225 FSB is about the point where your PCI bus starts running too far out of spec if you don't have it "fixed" to default. Double check to make sure you have the PCI/AGP setting set to "fix".

I checked just to be sure but it was fixed. The CPU seems to be crapping out on me but i'm still open for suggestions.

I'm really worried about these temps though, 63c @ 1.7 volt is very high...

yeah, I must agree with Melhisedek....

first, update your bios, I'm using the newer 1.5....
also look on the abit cd for flashmenu, you'll now be able to flash in windows.

set your memory to SPD and give them 2.8vdimm...
also set the ratio to 3:2. now your mem can't be holding you back.

try again, and let us know.

mica

I myself had troubles with just 1.5 ( don't know if there is any beta out perhaps ) that's why I sugested 1.4

About RAM again have you tried testing it @ 230 and 245?

Otherwise just follow micas advices you can't o wrong!

GL and let us know!

I did go wrong, its all going wrong :mad:

So I set the ram @ SPD hell I even tried cas3 with VERY high timings but its a no go. I cant get it past 237mhz @ 3:2 without errors.

I might go back to the 1.4 bios but I really doubt that would help.

I may be able to go and change the CPU for another 2.6c... maybe.

freecableguy at oc forums says

P.S. To achieve a better OC on an Abit IC7(-G) make sure you disable Command Per Clock (CPC) in the BIOS. That's my tip

I'm really sorry to hear about your bad luck. Also I'm presuming that you tested your RAM with memtest86 at relaxed settings. In that case we are narrowing cause of your bad o/c to mo/bo and CPU...

So it may be high temp ( heatsink not touching the CPU properly )
but 46-70 is really normal on most of the Abit boards...

Bad mo/bo: I heard of those.

And finally you might have bad o/c-er for CPU :(

There might be other things preventing you but theese are the most obvious...

One question though, how high can you get into Windows and start Prime ? Does it crash or freeze? Try running 3D mark and Sandra CPU Arithmetic and see if they crash or freeze ?

Another thing, I can't run 3:2 divider stable for some strange reason, so I suggest sticking with 5:4 one.

best I can do with 5:4 is 237Mhz with ram at ok timings (cas2.5) @ 1.65V. And the best I get on 1:1 is 230 with very bad timings or 225 with pretty good timings both on 2.8vddr.

I tried pretty much everything you guys told me so far but the 1.4 bios. I'll try to trade the cpu for another at the shop I bought it so wish me luck with that.

I have a L311 2.6C and initially I thot I had a dud too. The IC7 (1.4 ) gave me temp readings of 86C under load. v1.5 bios reads about 70C under load. I am using MCX4000 hsf with a 68cfm fan. Rechecked the mounting a few times to make sure it was making good contact. I knew that the IC7 gave higher temp readings but it is not supposed to go this high! Finally I got it to run at [email protected] but the system just felt very sluggish. It ran Prime 95 for a couple of days and the IC7 just turned itself off and refused to bootup! On pushing the power button, the power LED will light up for half a sec and power down. Took the same 2.6C and plugged it into a IS7 and it ran 3.4ghz @ 1.6V. So the problem may not lie in your CPU, it may be the IC7.

I just got myself a 2.6c from Hell myself, the moment I open the shipping package I said "OH F***, not from Philippines". I still haven't open the retail box yet and try to RMA it, I don't know if I can. Like I said: Never Touch Any CPU from Hell with a Ten Foot Pole. I had nightmares in the past with several chips from Philippines as far as o/c. Stay away from them. Period>

Just to let you guys know, I couldn't replace the CPU.

What I can do is sell it for 220.- and buy a 2,8 for 280.- in stead. I payed 260.- for the 2.6c in the first place.

would that be a good deal?

hmmm my maylay 2.6C does 3.57 rock stable. Have you tried loosening your timings? that helped me a lot. my timings are 2-4-4-8. My ram won't even boot at 2-2-2, then again I have 1 512 stick of pc2700. good thing im upgrading to pc3500 hyper x next week...

Ununquadium114 said:
hmmm my maylay 2.6C does 3.57 rock stable. Have you tried loosening your timings? that helped me a lot. my timings are 2-4-4-8. My ram won't even boot at 2-2-2, then again I have 1 512 stick of pc2700. good thing im upgrading to pc3500 hyper x next week...

What voltage do you run it at ?
Thank you for your time!

Back