• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bleed

ive jst installed a new hard drive on my computer. its a WD WESTERN DIGITAL "SPECIAL EDITION" 80GB 7200RPM EIDE HARD DRIVE MODEL # WD800JB(my primary slave). the install was flawless, but after the install, i moved some of my very large files to my new drive. then after that, i ran Ad-Aware to rid my system of spywares. then i ran Defrag after all this. when im accessing files in my new drive, it just suddenly reboots itself, but not all the time though, so obviously, it'll run scandisk. when its done, a window will pop up saying "system has recovered from a serious error" at the bottom, i clicked at the send error to windows, then it'll analyze the problem. it says ERROR CAUSED BY DEVICE DRIVER. i dunno what i should do, help :(

Welcome to the Forum

Please post with more of your system specs: Motherboard, processor, drives, memory, pci cards, graphics AND POWER SUPPLY...

iv had that happen to me a number of times... does this happen when you do something in particular? Or did it just happen once?

it has happened a couple of times already for the past few days. it kinda gets annoying after a while.

Board: First International Computer, Inc. VC31 PCB 1.X (have no idea what kind it is)
Processor: P4 1.60 GHz
Mem: 640 PNY PC133 SDRAM
drives: Maxtor 20 gig (OS)
WD WESTERN DIGITAL "SPECIAL EDITION" 80GB (storage)
Creative CD-RW
Mat****a DVD-ROM
Sound Card: Creative Labs (forgot wat kind :D )
Video Card: 3dfx Vodoo3
PS: 250 Generic

a friend built this for me for only 200 bucks :D

right now, im planning to build a new system, i have $1,200.00 dollars for a new one. do u guys have any suggestions? this will be mainly for gaming and surfing the web.

Go out right now and buy a good Antec or Enermax 400 or 450W power supply as an early purchase for your upgrade, but use it NOW!

Motherboard: 30W
CPU: 55W
Memory: 35W
Hard Drives: 50W (25W each)
Optical drives: 50W (25W each)
Sound card: 10W
Voodoo 3: 25W approx.
Fans: 15W (estimate)

TOTAL: 270 Watts!!!!

I doubt that ANY generic 250 power supply even comes close to a real 200W output.

thanks very much Graphic67, im on my way right now :D

btw, do u have any suggestion on what i could do with a 1,200 dollars budget on a new computer. i wont be upgrading my current pc, i wanna build a new one thats jst for gaming and surfing.

btw, do u have any suggestion on what i could do with a 1,200 dollars budget on a new computer. i wont be upgrading my current pc, i wanna build a new one thats jst for gaming and surfing.

give the money to me :D :cool:

I'll suggest an AMD configuration, but if you really want intel I can't advise you on that...

Motherboard: Abit AT7-max2 (a max3 version may be coming with a new VIA chipset) ... $150
CPU: AMD 2500+ (Barton core retail pack with heatsink and fan) ... $90
Memory: 512MB PC3200 ... $70
Video: ATI 9800 Pro ... $400 (An ATI 9700 Pro will also work and save almost $100)
Hard Drive ... $120
CDRW ... $70
DVD ROM ... $50
Case with good Power Supply ... $100 (up to $200 depending on your tastes -- Antec is good)
Windows XP Pro ... $145 (Buy OEM version with your parts)

Total $1195

well, ive just hooked up the new PSU, its an Antec SL350, they ran out of 400 or 450 the ones u suggested. i think this is sufficient since i will remove the 80 gig from my old pc then put it in my new computer.

im going AMD for my new system. this is what i have for now:

Asus A7N8X Deluxe Retail or Abit AT7-max2
AMD ATHLON XP 2500+ "Barton"
CORSAIR MEMORY XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series 2x512MB 64MX64 PC-3200C2PT With Platinum
ATI RADEON 9500 PRO
AOPEN (BLACK) CD-RW
LITE-ON DVD (BLACK)
Guillemot Hercules GameSurround Fortissimo III 7.1
HDD: WESTERN DIGITAL "SPECIAL EDITION" 80GB 7200RPM (I already have another 80 gig)
Windows XP Professional SP1

i dunno if i should get the 9700 pro or 9800 pro, im not really a hardcore gamer, i jst play when i feel like it. i haven't played any computer games since i got the PS2.

You might want to hold off on buying an extra sound card until you decide if the onboard audio is acceptable or not. (I use the onboard audio on my AT7-max2).

If you are not a hardcore gamer, then the 9500 pro is a good compromise of performance and price. Be sure to get the Pro as the non-Pro versions have a less powerfull core.

Let me know how your system does with the new power supply. The SL350 should be enough power (My T-bred rig uses one and has slightly higher power requirements).

The Radeon is a good choice, you can modify it to a 9700 by enabling the extra pipelines if you're lucky. The rest of the system looks good, the 2500+ bartons OC quite well, as long as you get a good (newer) stepping. The motherboard is my main worry though. As you are considering the Asus A7N8X, think about the NF7-S instead of the AT7. Many discussions have ranged on the subject and the NF7 is the best for overclocking as the Vdd can be raised, but the Asus has lots of shiny features. The only thing wrong with it IMO is that the BIOS corruption issue can rear it's ugly head. The board has a slight tendency to scramble it's BIOS when you change the settings too often. It's up to you, I like the Asus more.

i'll do that, and thanks very much Graphic67, you've been a great help :D

btw, can i pm you just in case i run into problems in building my new system? this'll be my very first time :D

Back