• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Apic/Acpi

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

unwrittenLaw

I'm going to do a fresh install of Win XP Pro, and was wondering if I should try disabling APIC this time around as I'm trying to resolve the Soundstorm/APU issues...I noticed right now my Nvidia NIC and Nforce2 APU both share IRQ 11. I tried going into device manager and setting "Computer" as "Standard PC" then rebooting and setting in the BIOS, and I was able to reboot, then the OS "re-sees" everything, but I still couldn't select IRQ's/etc....So that is why I'm thinking I need to do a fresh install to see the benefits/difference..

Has anyone tried this with good results and did everything run as well on Standard PC as opposed to Uniprocessor PC. Also, I noticed that in Device Manager, you can also select ACPI Processor...is this only if APIC is enabled before install?
Sorry i'm a bit confused..

Thanks for any suggestions

before you reinstall try this:
-set apic mode to disable
-change Standard PC to 'advanced configuration and power(acpi) interface'(this is something that fixes most ppls sound, another thing to do would be to put a heatsink on the sb)

apic enables the creation of 'virtual irq', you get 23 or so instead of 15-16

getting rid of acpi would actually show you a decrease in fps....

i've tried runnign with apic enabled and disabled and i find the system is slightly more responsive when apic is disabled...

I have a heatsink in the SB, and I've tried all the other 'fixes' for the nforce2 apu sound problems, except messing around with the HAL. So I should enable ACPI but disable APIC? Right now, my computer is set as ACPI Uniprocessor..I then changed it to just ACPI and it didnt help with the sound issues. So I was going to try just Standard PC and see if that helps...

Back