• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

someone help, my computer won't boot =(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

R3v3lation

Registered
I made a fresh reformat-reinstall of windowsXP today, and after a bit of getting everything back on the computer(just windows updates, drivers, that kind of stuff) I thought I'd try overclocking since I just got new 3200 ddr ram.

I have a KT400 dragon ultra and 1.4ghz tbird... so I overclocked to 166fsb without problems, lowered multiplyer so I was running 1.3ghz I think it was. then I tried 200fsb total speed at 1.4ghz and it wouldn't boot. it would make one beep and then just sit there doing nothing, so I tried turning it off a few times to see if it would do anything, nothing. I finally decided to try clearing the cmos, I went in, I unplugged the computer, switched the jumper, waited a while, switched itback, plugged it allback in, turned it on and... it won't boot at all. it doesn't beep at all, all that happens is the fans start up and the lights blink a few times before eventually just powering off. I have no idea what to do now, my computer won't boot, I don't know if I skrewed it up when I tried to clear the cmos... could I have done something non-fixable? =/

I could really use advice right now...

You didn't add any fans or anything did you? When I added too many fans and overloaded my power supply, my computer did the same thing. But I'm assuming you didn't.

I once tried to see if I could get my xp 2000 to 2 gigs, but it could only do 1.93. The problem was that when I made it do 1.95, it wouldn't boot up. It turned its self off after a few seconds, which didn't give me time to change the bios settings. So I tried a few minutes later, but it stilll didn't want to boot. So I unplugged it, turned the p/s off, and went to sleep. The next morning it booted up, I changed the bios back, and everything worked.

So my suggestion is either disconnect some fans (if you added any, which you probably didn't), or just wait for around 8 hours or so, and then try again.

ok... I'm gonna just unplug most everything I can without taking it all apart... see if works in the mroning. I just hope I didn't fry the cpu.

ok, it's stil not working. Could I have fried the CPU? what kind of things would cause it to not beep at all, what does it mean?

I just had the same problem after putting my w/c setup in. My problem was that my CPU block wasn't set properly. The mobo was turning off due to the temp getting too high.It took me 3 tries but I finally got it to turn on and temps were good.

Another thing that was causing my shutdowns was I had the BIOS set to watch the fans and their speeds. Make sure you didn't unhook a fans sensor or something like that. I just plugged a fan in to all the mobo fan sensors and it worked enough to get in and change the setting.

Back