• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Idiot needs help connecting two compuers to Cable Broadband.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Beast Of Blight

Disabled
Okay.. I've read the stickies, but I'm still stumped..

I have my main computer [ the one in the sig ] as the one thats connected to broadband right now.

Well, I also have another compuer that I'd like to connect. The problem is, I can't really afford to get a hub, and everything else.

I have an ethernet card in both computers, Is there any way I can like...get a second network card for my main compuer and run some sort of crossover cable to my other compuer so it'll be connected without having to buy a second IP or anything?

and will this impeed the performance of my main compuer at all?

Yes, you can use put a second nic in the connected computer and share the connection with the other that way.

WinXP has connection sharing built-in (although I think it stinks) and linux can be set up to do so as well. There are a number of free/cheap proxy servers around as well.

Impact on performance for the main rig will be there, but should not be noticeable unless you are heavily loading the system (gaming, multiple downloads, etc.)

You will need another nic and a crossover cable to directly connect NIC 2 and the second pc: gateway routers have gone WAY down in price in the last year so you may be able to get one for not much more- look around.

A gateway router has many advantages:
NAT (simple firewall)
Ease of setup
No performance loss on any pc
No need of crossover cable for peer-to-peer connection (NIC to NIC)
Future expansion- only two computers can be connected nic to nic; most gateway routers have 4 ports.

For security and connection sharing you really should get a cable/dsl router. They can be found on sale at CompUSA or Best Buy for $30 to $40 (and sometimes include wireless networking or print servers). Your suggestion of getting an extra network card and cable will cost you $20 to $30.

The router takes over the log-on to your broadband system and takes the IP provided by your ISP. Once other computers are connected to the switch ports on the router, each machine can be given its own IP by the router (through DHCP function) and then the broadband connection is shared through NAT (network address translation) in the router. This feature plus other firewall security features in most home routers provide a first line of defence for your computers since the broadband connection is always on and your IP probably does not change.

I'll be happy to answer any other question you might have.

I would go for the router, but the system wont' be used much and will be shut off most of the time anyways. I'd just like to be able to get online from it if I was working around it, instead of having to come back to this computer.

Its not like its going to be used for gaming, the other computer anyways. And I've been pricing routers, still out of my budget..specially compared to the price of a 5 dollar NIC and a crossover cable.

I have done something like this when I was at a relatives house for about a week(needed internet bad) so I used 2 comps and bridged it but it sucks If one comp goes online the other comp cant. Just relieve the aggravation and borrow money someone for a router. some online places have them for like 10-20 bucks after rebate I also saw some hubs/switches routers in the classifieds

Well, the troubles are solved.

I guess my mother, in all her brilliance, is going to pay out the ***, as well as amonthy fee for a wireless router and one wireless card from our broadband provider so SHE can get on MY internet.

Ugh..I wish she hadn't done this.. I like my dedicated broadband, I don't want her stealing my bandwith! :cry:

well if you wanted to be mean you could just turn off your PC when your not using it. or install folding on both rigs and make the shared bandwidth worth something.

Yeah, thats the plan.

I'm also working on building a folding rig, all I need now is just some RAM for it.

and I've got a second one I'm thinking about folding, but I'm unsure what speed the proc is.

Back