• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Miscellaneous Red Hat Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

daga5831

Yeah...so I bought "Red Hat Linux 8 Bible" yesterday (as well as "The Complete FreeBSD 3rd Edition" :D). However, I've only been working with Red Hat so far. Anyways...I installed Red Hat, updated, tried to install AMSN, and failed. I know that I need "wish" in order to run AMSN, and the AMSN website said that I needed to go to http://tcl.sourceforge.net to get "wish", so I did. I downloaded tcl8.4.3src, and I did what the unix readme said for the installation, but I still don't have "wish". I didn't get any errors during the installation, but I can't get it to work :(. Little help?

Also, I can't seem to get rid of the BlueCurve theme. If I go into the theme manager, and try to change it from BlueCurve to Default, it says that it couldn't find a ".themerc" or a ".theme" file, even though I can manually go into the folder, and I see the files there.

And is there any way to get rid of the Red Hat icon for the popup menu? I was horribly confused for about an hour, thinking BlueCurve was a GUI like KDE or Gnome. However, I was IN Gnome, but I didn't know because I couldn't see the little foot thingy. (I'm still kind of new to linux, so I rely on that icon to tell me what the GUI is :p).

Help me! The linux bible doesn't seem to have any information about those topics :(.

-daga

Hmm, I've never tried getting wish or AMSN to work, but I can tell you that the icon for the kicker is most likely /usr/share/apps/kicker/kicker.png and if you want to change teh side panel on the pop-up menu, that one is probably /usr/share/apps/kicker/k_side.png. What you should do is open a konqueror window and enter file:/usr/share/apps/kicker so you can browse that directory graphically and make sure that those items are in there. You can grab some replacements from www.kde-look.org. Save them in your home and use ARK to untar them and knoqueror to browse them, just to make sure they are satisfactory. Open a terminal and su root. mv them from your home to the /usr/share/apps/kicker directory and rename them while you're at it. Basically just overwrite the existing ones with the new ones, or if you want to develop good habits, make a back-up of the existing icons first and then overwrite the originals.

su
[enter root's password]
cd /usr/share/apps/kicker
cp k_side.png k_side.png.bak
cp kicker.png kicker.png.bak
mv /home/yourusername/foo.png kicker.png
mv /home/yourusername/foo_side.png k_side.png

Bluecurve is just a theme for your GUI's. I recommend logging out of gnome and choosing to change your default session to KDE. Redhat kind of forces gnome on you.... I'm pretty sure you'll find it easy to change to another theme from KDE's Control Center.

P.S. KDE-look.org also has tons of themes...

Last edited:
I´m pretty sure redhat comes with a version of wish, look on your CDs and the redhat website first.
As for source tarballs: they´re usualy installed to /usr/local/bin
Check there

Arkaine23 said:
Bluecurve is just a theme for your GUI's. I recommend logging out of gnome and choosing to change your default session to KDE. Redhat kind of forces gnome on you.... I'm pretty sure you'll find it easy to change to another theme from KDE's Control Center.

Yeah. I found a way to switch from Gnome to KDE. I edited a file (can't remember which one) and changed "GNOME" to "KDE". It's in KDE that I've been trying to get rid of BlueCurve. I didn't try it in Gnome. But I still can't get it to switch to default in KDE. Did I switch GUIs incorrectly?

-daga

Back