• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Innovate water block question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Imacrzyprsn

Has anyone ever tried making a waterblock with the base being around 5-10 paper thickness (something like 1/24th of an inch i think) and having the water come in at an angle strike the base directly and then go out at an angle or anything to that effect. I was thinking maybe using stainless steel 401, a tiny tiny sheet of it just to see what happens. If anyone has any info they would like to give me I would be more than happy! Thank's in advance of course =).

Oh yeah, heh, I'm not chemist and in AP chemistry i struggled to get my C in the class and didn't take the AP test. So if anyone could also maybe toss up why steel is bad as apposed to just bad that would be great =).

Thermal conductivity. That's why steel is bad.

Conductivity Snow (packed) 2.2000
Conductivity Steel AISI C1020 46.73
Conductivity Aluminum 2024-T3 190.40
Conductivity Gold - pure 297.70
Conductivity Copper - pure 392.90
Conductivity Silver - pure 417.10
Conductivity Diamond 550.00

Of course, steel is about 21 times more effective at conducting heat than packed snow is. ;)

As for base thicknesses, bases have been made about as thin as possible. If the base is made too thin, then the base will bend and bow under the holddown pressure - not good. The whitewater block would have this problem for example if it didn't have the fins that go from the base to the top of the block that support the base.

Someone more experienced at milling blocks could tell you what thickness is needed for a flat base to keep it from bending for certain materials.

Last edited:
Hmmm, all my blocks base-plates are substantally thinner than you describe, except there is support for rigidity. Can't just have the whole base-plate being 1/24" thick because it will flex, resulting in poor (little to no) contact with the CPU.

Steel is bad because of its thermal conductivity. Copper conducts heat about 8x better than steel, meaning that copper will spread the heat further and faster than steel, allowing it to come into contact with more of the water over a greater surface area. (Simplistically speaking).

Also the method of in/out on an angle is referred to as jet impingement. It works well but needs to be managed better than just a single jet of water coming in/out. A single large jet doesn't offer enough thermal convection efficiency to adequately deal with the heat density of CPU's through a 1/24" thick base-plate. Generally a 4mm or so thick copper base-plate will allow the heat to be spread far enough to allow the balance of the single jet's thermal convection efficiency to adequately deal with the total heat load.

Getting down to 1/24" base-plate thicknesses requires that you properly manage and accelerate the water impingement flow to boost the water's thermal convection efficiency to levels whereby such thick base-plates are not required to spread the heat as the convection efficiency will be able to adequately deal with the thermal density of the CPU sized heat source.

Back