• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCZ Gold 3700 -> OCZ466256ELGE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Herbus

I can get 2 single 256M modules for $33.00 less than the Dual kit. Is there any reason I would want the Dual Channel matched pair? If I do buy the two, I will buy them at the exact same time. You pay a premium for the matched pair to guarantee success but, in reality, is there ever a problem buying them individually. I have read other posts of others using quite different RAM on 865/875 motherboards so I doubt there is. Just want to be sure.

There should be no performance loss or gain buying the sticks seperately or as a pair especially since the two were bought close to the same time, though it could be a different story if you bought some PC3700 six months ago and then bought another stick today, but you still probably would not run into problems with that setup though it is more likely than any other situation.

Btw Welcome to the Forums!

the only prob with buying 2 seperate sticks is they are only going to run as fast as the slowest stick.. now if u happen to get 2 really fast sticks it doesnt matter. however,the selling point with the dual channel is they are tested at the same cas and frequency speeds and are supposed to run very similar speeds.. is it worth the premium?..to tell u the truth i havent really made up my mind yet...

Back