• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I use tape to hold fan on heatsink?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

computerman211

Registered
I ordered the slk800u from bestbyte.net as well as the thermaltake smart fan2 around two weeks ago. I was real busy and opened it up this weekend (yeah i know that was really dumb) assuming everything would be there. Well, I was wrong. The heatsink had everything besides the spring clips for the fan. I already took everthing apart and I'm wondering if I could use scotch tape or something just for a week until I can get the spring clips. Would that be too risky?

I have the xp 1700+ DLT3C and I'm going to overclock it. Should I wait or what?

Use some paper clips or copper wire if possible. I've tried using tape and it tends to come off extremely easily.

hi there - unless my computer is screwin me and wont let me see ur start...welcome to the forums ^_^. Dood, i dont even have my fan 'directly' attached to my SLK-800. I have a 120mm fan bolted to my chasis, and a 120-80mm adapter to direct the airflow onto the heatsink. Now, did you realize this: if u scotch tape the fan directly to the heatsink, not only will u get cr@ptastic airflow, but the fan blades would be hitting the heatsink. The paper clips or wire sounds like an idea ^_^. as long as that the blades wont hit, all is good. ^_^

Hey guys. For the time being what I've done is place the computer this way ______ instead of | . However, the thing doesn't have any support and even though I've told people in my house a thousand times not to change it, I know something will happen.

Well, I searched my garage and found some metal wire. Can someone give me some advice with this? I'm going to try now and see what happens. Thanks.

What are zipties? :confused:

Just stick the metal into the fan holes, and loop them into the holes on the heatsink, basically making clips out of them.

If you really need the spring clips you might be able to send thermalright a receipt and they would probably send you some free ones. I don't think it will make them bankrupt if they did considering the cost me, you, and everyone else pay for their product, but it's worth it.

Back