• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need to learn html. yeah yeah.. i know...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jonny 2x4

i'm kinda behind, i used to know it but i forgot it all. so, should i learn html, xhtml, etc...??

Is this a good book to get started? I plan on immediately learning php + mysql afterwords.

i learned it. but then i forgot so ill just stick with keeping th

HTML is really easy to learn. The syntax is easy so once you understand how the syntax works you just need a reference, and just about any book is good for that. A few years ago I used "Idiots Guide to HTML". I never actualy read through the book from front to back, but just went to the area where I wanted to see how to do something... Good luck :)

Thanks for the site!

EDIT: The thing is, I can't just sit here and read this stuff off of my computer screen. I have never been able to sit down and read an ebook... i need to actually print stuff out. I don't have ink right now so I'll just have to wait.

Should I learn like this:

1. html
2. xhtml
3. php + mysql
4. javascript
5. azp

?? Or should I switch some of those around?

Last edited:
I'm going to try to learn these but in the mean time I'm looking for a webmaster (probably from these forums) that would be willing to build me a website for free (I would eventually pay him back somehow). I've had no luck yet though.

My suggestion is this:

1. html
2. xhtml
3. javascript
4. ASP/PHP + SQL (doesn't have to be mySQL, database will do)

ASP and PHP (in websites at least) do basically the same thing - server side scripting and database access/manipulation. The one you should learn first depends on your server - if your using IIS then ASP, Apache the PHP.

First off I would suggest having a good understanding of the differences between HTML and XHTML as these will effect your ability to understand what each can do for you.. they do not do the same thing in the same manner and understand the strengths and weakness of each is important.

The second most important thing from my perspective is the understanding of how the tags do things, its so easy to get a WYSIWYG editor these days and lash together a website with little understand of the users requirements.

Then learn the languages .. I would personally suggest HTML then XML (as XHTML is simply HTML 4 written as an XML application).. if you understand XML and HTML the rest follows......

I would suggest focusing on truley open standards and ignore things such as DHTML (Dynamic HTML)..

Fantastic Thread On HTML and XML can be found here

Cant go wrong with the standards

www.webmonkey.com
/\ I learning everyhting about web programming there. It is a GREAT site.

HTML = Easy, easy, easy, and very forgiving
XML = New and looks powerful but I'm tring to figure out how the hell to use it
PHP = Powerful, forgiving, and easy compared to pearl (php/perl/asp are server side)
Javascript = Lots of fancy junk but you HAVE to test your scripts on multiple browsers and versions. I don't use javascript unless I have too bt I'm a combatibility freak.
CSS = EXTREMELY USEFUL when handling multiple Html files that need to look the same. Can be used to do really crazy crap when paired with javascipt.

One thing to note. You should test all of your pages in multiple browsers, even plain html. IE and Netscape render pages differntly, and IE is much more forgiving about missing tags.

I agree with druidelder. I taught myself HTML and all that jazz with frontpage. I quickly learned that using only IE for testing isn't acceptable. IE is WAY to forgiving with broken code. It will put in tags that it *thinks* you meant to put in. Coding like that will ingain bad habits, and will leave you with a rude awakening if you go into XHTML, XML,XSLT.

Test in other browsers (and platforms for that matter) like Netscape 7/Mozilla, as well as IE. You can forget about Netscape 4.7x and below unless you are a professional and your client requires that their pages work in older browsers. (as for Opera, I am a professional, and it has never been a concern for any of my clients or projects. Basically, if you code well, and it works in Mozilla and IE, it will probably work in Opera.)

Back