• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can i use a 10watt rheostat to speed control a vantec tornado

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nismo

Can i use a 10 watt rheostat or should i go with 12.5 watt or 25 watt. What if i use a 5 watt would that work also or will the rheostat burn. I'm planning on hooking up a rheostat soon to control the beast :D
Btw what is the price range for one of these anyways.

Wattage rating is just about irrelevent in choosing a rheostat. Its resistance rating in ohms is what you're looking for. Just divide the voltage by the amperage rating of the fan together to find the resistance, which for in tornado's case is 12v / .76A = 15.78 ohm. Always use a resistor with a resistance rating less than that of your fan, or else it will burn out. Do your research. A countless many have burnt out their fans and rheostats by not understanding which rheostat they needed. As long as you get a rheostat rated at 15 or less ohms, there's no chance of it catching on fire.

Nothing special. But because of that it's impossible to calculate the voltage reduction caused by some resistor in serial with the fan.

But you can calculate the lowest resistance possible. Maybe you misunderstood my post. I wasn't calculating the voltage reduction caused by the rheostat. I was calculating what resistance a rheostat should be rated at for use with a Tornado.

Back