• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon XP 2300+ is out, what is it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
There is a thread of this already. WCPUID says it is Athlon XP2300+, but the clockspeeds are identical with XP2400+. Weird...

1. WCPUID identifies it as 2300+ not a 2400+
2. Its clock speed is 2.0 GHz - the same as 2400+ T-Bred B
3. Its multiplier is 15 x [133]
4. It's a model 8 not a model 10 Thorton
5. It has 256 cache so it's not a Barton.

It can't be a T-Bred A so it's a 2300+ T-Bred B.

Note that it is nowhere to be found on
http://www2.amd.com/us-en/protected...es/1,,30_182_869_4348^7923,00.html?1056954866

Gautam said:
Its just one of the latest T-Bred B's. They use a very thin layer PCB. All week 313's and later or something use this new PCB design. Its nothing uncommon. But it can overclock quite nicely, maybe even higher than the dlt3c in your sig.

So the only difference between a T-Bred B 2300+ and a T-Bred B 2400+ is a
very thin layer PCB.

What does that mean?

I did a ton of searches at the AMD site, and nothing came up for the 2300+ or a 2Ghz AMD CPU. The 2400+ is rated at 1.94Ghz, and the 2500+ is 1.83Ghz. That is really weird, but I am guessing that Office Depot just made a mistake.

Last edited:
yeah I'd say Office Depot made a typo. I've never heard of the 2300+, I was under the assumption it was the Thorton when I read the title of this Thread.
Altec, 2500+ is 1.83GHz (Barton)

eMachines, Office Depot, Best Buy all making a typo, maybe.

WCPUID software identifes it as a 2300+ not a 2400+.
Saying that's also a string typo would be stretching it IMHO.

What does "a very thin layer PCB" mean?
(Where's Gautam when you need him :) )

Last edited:
I'm right here ;). From what I know, weeks 19 and later Thoroughbreds have far thinner PCB's than older ones. This means that, well the pcb of the proc is thinner than normal, and not much else. Explanation and pics here.These new designs have done other weird things in WCPUID. They've been reported as having only 128kb L2 cache, and this 2300+ is another discrepancy. I can assure you with near certainty that in reality, neither of these discrepancies are actually true. What's odd is that Officemax advertises it as a 2300+, and WCPUID registers it as a 2300+. My guess is that its the fault of emachines, the board manufacturer, which somehow carried on to Officemax in their advertising. But for all practical purposes, it is nothing more than a run of the mill TBred B 2400+.

What does P C B stand for?

Your conclusions are that 2300+ does not exist and that advertized and WCPUID identified 2300+ is actually a 2400+ T-Bred B.

What about BIOS? Do these chips show up as 2300+ and if so, what makes a BIOS identify chips that do not exist, do they have an inaccurately manufactured identifier string?

What really strikes me as odd is that everyone else out there is advertising it and what not and AMD's site doesn't have ANY information about it at all. I've been combing through it for an hour or so and cannot find it. I've also been searching google a bit with little avail. All I found was what Gautam said pretty much.

What does P C B stand for?
Printed Circuit Board. The green or brown part of the proc onto which everything is soldered.
What about BIOS? Do these chips show up as 2300+ and if so, what makes a BIOS identify chips that do not exist, do they have an inaccurately manufactured identifier string?
With AMD's, unlike Intel, it is the motherboard that determines the name string(well there are eccentric cases where this doesn't hold true, but skip that) not the CPU. The motherboard can report whatever it wants. When you begin to adjust the fsb to values not close to stock, they end up posting strange PR ratings. So this 2300+ is an issue with the emachines board, and that board only. No clue why it would do that, probably some kind of a glitch, like a misread of the multiplier.
What really strikes me as odd is that everyone else out there is advertising it and what not and AMD's site doesn't have ANY information about it at all.
I repeat once again, there is no such thing as a 2300+.

altec said:
LOL, sorry thats what I meant...:p
Suuuuuuuure! That's what they all say lol, just kidding Altec. I make mistakes like that all the time too.

My apologies for catching you again ;).
2Ghz AMD CPU. The 2400+ is rated at 1.94Ghz
You mustn't have looked far, because the 2400+ is clocked at 2000mhz. There is no AMD processor that is clocked at 1.93ghz stock. Many retailers say so, and I made the same mistake, but just check out the AMD FAQ on these forums and the AMD tech docs.

Gautam said:

I repeat once again, there is no such thing as a 2300+.
I'm agreeing with you. I am just saying that it's quite odd that they all appear to think that it exists... Odd Odd Odd. Leave it to the people at Office Depot to mess it up. They never can answer any questions you ask them. I went in there a couple of years ago when I was first getting into Networking and asked them how to share a Dial-Up Internet connection. They tried to freaking sell me a 4 port Router... All you have to do is set up microsoft ICHS on all the computers and be in the same workgroup (that doesn't even have to happen but it's good for filesharing heh). No wait... that happened at Comp USA. Same principal though.

Cant believe this has resurrected itself again - well done to Gautam for putting everyone straight! An XP2400 has always been rated at 2GHz and has always been a Tbred B - this is merely a typo - if anyone wants to get the CORRECT rating for their cpu at default state why not use AMD's utilities instead of WCPUID?
Internet websites selling systems are full of mistakes - I have seen XP2400 and XP2600 Palominos offered on the web! ffs!!

Not only that, but the guy here who got an eMachines 2300+ said that the label on the proc says it's a 2400+... guess that settles everything.

Maybe eMachines is trying to do some trickery, making 2400+s seem like they're slower and selling "real" 2400+s for higher prices? Conspiracy :eek:

Back