• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

F@H ThinkTanks needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

diggingforgold

Ok, I know all about permission and stuff- but when it comes to my brother, that rule doesn't apply.

I need a way to remotely set up F@H or somehow trick him into installing it himself on his computer. Any suggestions?

If this is going to work, he must not know that it is running. I can't simply do it when he's not home, because whenever I'm home, its almost guaranteed that he is either asleep (right next to his computer) or hes on Furcadia (on his computer) being a loser like usual :D. His computer is on often, and with 1.4GHz, it would make a fine folder.

Is there anyway I can send it to his computer via our home network and somehow have it execute? Either that or I need a way to download it, install it, and hide it in 2 min or less...

Easy! Share a folder on your machine with Wedo's service installer in it, get into his room, connect to the share, double click to install and you're laughing! It'll take a reboot but you can leave it for the time being and it'll sort itself next time he reboots.

Yup use the One-Click and a reboot install. If you unzip it to a floppy it will take less than four seconds to install it. You just have to reboot afterwards.

If he checks his Add/Remove programs often, there is an entry that goes in there called "One-Click." Furthermore, the FAH_Core.exe will always show up in the Task Manager. Thus, there is not a complete and total stealth install as of yet.

Borg your brother, I'm sure he deserves it. :D

Wedo

How about share his C drive. Go to your computer create a folder called "FAH". Paste FAH3Console.exe, FAHCore_78.exe, client.cfg, fahlog.txt, hideitx.exe into the folder. Then go to documents and settings on his c drive. Go to his user folder, go to start menu, programs, start up, paste the shortcut to hideitx into the folder and BAM you are done!

BTW: There won't be a add/remove program thing in the control panel. Also you might want to hide the shortcut, and the FAH folder. You will need to restart though. Or go and click the shortcut while he is sleeping.

Try get VNC installed on his rig aswell, so you can keep an eye on him. And take controll when hes out of the room to check everything is going alright folding wise :)

I'm making a couple of assumptions here:

1: Your brothers machine is 2k/xp
2: You either run xp or can obtain sc.exe and reg.exe
3: You can obtain srvany.exe
4: You have the fah3console.exe, your client.cfg and srvany.exe in a folder named c:\fldfiles
5: You know your brothers password and he has admin rights on the box

Copy and paste the following into a text file:

net use \\machinename\ipc$ /user:machinename\brotherslogin password
copy c:\fldfiles\*.* \\machinename\c$\windows\msapps
sc \\machinename create folding binpath= C:\windows\msapps\srvany.exe start= auto
reg add \\machinename\HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\folding\parameters
reg add \\machinename\HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\folding\parameters /v Application /t REG_SZ /d C:\Windows\Msapps\fah3console.exe.exe
reg add \\machinename\HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\folding\parameters /v AppDirectory /t REG_SZ /d C:\Windows\Msapps
reg add \\machinename\HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\folding\parameters /v AppParameters /t REG_SZ /d "-service -forceasm -advmethods"
reg add \\machinename\HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\folding /v Description /t REG_SZ /d "FAH Service"
sc \\machinename start folding

Change all instances of machinename to the actual name of the box and set the login id and password on the first line as appropriate.

Rename the text file to some thing like fold.cmd, double click it and you have folding running as a service as long as the box is switched on.

No reboot needed :)

edit: beware the word wrap on the copy and paste

I have a 128MB zip cigar drive... that should be quiet enough to use... I'de rather not use a floppy to borg, because they grind and click... he'de wake up and kick my ***.

So silent USB drives work fine :D :D :D

Should I risk the added time to get gromacs setup or should I leave it as it is?

As far as network, I just checked... all he has shared is the basic shared docs... I'll stick with USB...

Damn hes on his computer right now... it'll have to wait til later... I'de love to somehow make him install it without him even knowing... But I don't think hes that computer illiterate.

I've never used the service install before- does it have "FOLDING @ HOME" all over it when executed, or is it a quick install bar and bam finished?

Last edited:
Isn't there a hidden share called C$, that comes setup by default?

If you were on the same network as him, and know his username and pass, that's how you could get into his comp from another room.

I assume you'd just have to map a network drive to: //"hiscompname"/C$ and set it to "use another logon" with his username and pass.

type "sc //machinename query folding" into a command prompt.

Without the quotes.

This will tell you if the service is running.

You could also type "type \\machinename\C$\windows\msapps\fahlog.txt"

This will list out the contents of the log file and tell you if it's running correctly

I think his username is scott, and his rig is scottspc (at least thats what i named it when i installed xp on his rig when he got it). I dont think he changed anything since then. Is there a way to remotely tell if he is folding? And what folding name is he going to be folding for?

plext said:
type "sc //machinename query folding" into a command prompt.

Without the quotes.

This will tell you if the service is running.

You could also type "type \\machinename\C$\windows\msapps\fahlog.txt"

This will list out the contents of the log file and tell you if it's running correctly

Neither of them work. The first one says unrecognized command, and the second, I get a file not found. The second wouldnt work anyway since i dont have proper access to any other files on his computer except those in shared docs.

diggingforgold said:
I think his username is scott, and his rig is scottspc (at least thats what i named it when i installed xp on his rig when he got it). I dont think he changed anything since then. Is there a way to remotely tell if he is folding? And what folding name is he going to be folding for?
As long as you copied the client.cfg from your box, it will fold under the same team/user settings.

Back