• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HSF mod - amazing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Severian

Wow, I got a bit of a surprise tonight...

Having just read http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=210751 I decided to maybe give it a go myself. Put an air duct on top of the HSF with another fan on top, and see how it goes.

First off, to simply test the principle, I rolled up a piece of paper and stuck it to the top of my fan with 2 pieces of celotape. Took all of 15 seconds. The temperatures? At my normal overclock, it the temps were down 3 degree's, and at my max overclock (which I don't run because of heat problems), it was down 6. Not bad for a piece of paper.

So theory proven, I decided to try it to a greater extent. Since I had no handy cans or tubes, I simply rolled up another piece of paper, air sealed the sides, duct taped it to the fan (so there were no gaps) and put another fan on top. The temperature changes? 5 degree's down at normal, 15 down at my max overclock, which from now on I think is normal.

No pics since I a) don't have a camera and b) it's just a piece of paper stuck onto a fan...

But as far as a job which cost me nothing, took 3 minutes, and got my better temperatures than if I had gone out and bought a SK-700 with Tornado, I think it's a nice piece of work.

I was just looking at what that guy did in the thread you mentioned. Im not sure I understand how it works. i assume that the fans are blowing onto the sink, so the only difference is that the air being blown is not he warm air from around the cpu. Does that really make all the diference or am I missing something?

Yeah basically. The hot air from the chipset and CPU collects around the sockets, although there are many ways to cure this. My problem is because I am using a relatively small case, there's no place for me to put case fans, or indeed for the hot air to get out quickly anyway.

The slight downside to this method is that you either need to have your case open, or to do a mod to the side pannel (making a hole through which you stick your fan).

But as I said, the temperature drop surprised even me. I knew I had a hot-air collection problem, but not that bad.

Now if only my CPU could go higher...

I'm thinking that this mod just provides the heatsink with more fresh air than just recycled air from the fan on top of the heatsink.
Would this give more air pressure?

Not only that, it completely eliminates the dead spot in the middle of the fan, acting as an enormous shroud. Furthermore, the aluminum fins greatly increase surface area, effectively enlarging the heatsink.

I'm not so sure about that latter bit Gautum - they (in the other guys mod) are not actually connected direct to the original heatsink - his fan is in the way. And last I checked, plastic fans did not conduct too well...

But as far as the rest of it goes, yes

So, let me try to understand this. Does he still have the hsf on there and then the second fan at the top of the tube is blowing air onto the whole hsf assembly?

Thats about where Im at now, working out wether you have 1 or 2 fans. It looks like you have the HSF raised dlightly above the sink and then the second fan is opional but can make a difference. Stop me if this is wrong...

Nah, that's all correct.

I did not expect the second fan to make a difference, but it seems to, I suppose increasing the air pressure within the tube.

the second fan decreases the effect of back pressure from the heatsink on the traditionally placed fan. I have tried the same on my rig, yet to check the temps. It's still in bits. You know how it is started as a simple cooling mod ended up as a complete rebuild and respray :rolleyes:

Back