• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Linux Folding

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orion25

Folding in memory of my dads, Tim B. & Mike B.
I have SuSE 8.2 Pro and followed the OC Folding Linux install guide to get the v3.24 LinuxB console up and running. After I installed it I closed the bash window I used for installation. Did it still keep running? How can I tell? And finally, will FAH automatically start everytime I log onto SuSE with the username I installed it under.

As you have most likely guessed, I am a Linux noob. Please dumb your replies down to my level.

Thanks

type top in a console and you should see FahCore_ running. If you don't see it it is not running. Start another one on a console to run it. It won't automaticly start it when you log in. you would have to place it in KDE start up if you use KDE as your window manager.

It is best to put it in startup at boot time to make sure it runs at all time. I don't know how to do it in suse but if I'm there i can tinker with it and figure it out.

Closing the window closed folding@home unless you added the "&" at the end of your launch command. & makes it run in the background like a service, otherwise it runs in the console that launched it.

type- top
Thats a process viewer so you can check on things.
"q" quits top

It won't run at startup unless you write a small shell script and place it in a config file for scripts that run at startup (an rc file). I've got quite a few scripts for folding in linux, I'll try to give you a hand, though my access to a computer will be very limited until late in the evening....

Edit: hi overdoze! beat me a few seconds there. BTW, I expect to upload the remastered knoppix CD to you tonight around 10pm.

Last edited:
I have been starting it manually using ./FAH3Console-LinuxB.exe each time I start the comp. I leave the terminal window up. It runs almost 24/7. Now, I'm a total Linux noob (about 3 days). So here are a few questions:
What would I type assuming I am in the directory I have FAH set up in to get it to run as a service? I'm assuming ./FAH3Console-LinuxB.exe& Is this correct?

How do I get it to start automatically?

Warning!!! The aiuthor of this post has no experience with Suse. Making startup scripts incorrectly can make your machine hang instead of boot. Check folding@home's community forums as they will likely have some helpful info for you which may be safer to follow than this author's theories regarding startup scripts.

./FAH3Console-Linux.exe -advmethods -forceasm &
is how you run it in the background

It depends on your distro how best to start it at boot-time. I think in Suse, you would put a script in /etc/rc.boot, but don't hold me to that.

The script would look something like-

#!/bin/sh
cd /your/folding/directory
su -c your_user_name_here ./FAH3Console-Linux.exe -advmethods -forceasm &

You'll need to create this script as root, and then run this command:

chmod +x foldscript_name

Before trying to reboot to test this, you should also run:

chown -R your_user_name_here FAH3Console-Linux.exe

You don't want to run folding as root ever, but as a regular user. The startup script above assumes you have already done that.

I found the origional thread on starting FAH as a service. But I found that to be beyong my current abilities. I am a noob after all when it comes to Linux. So, I downloaded the Windows client and used Wine to run it. It does not start at boot but I can start it with a few clicks of the mouse. I have this bookmarked so when I am feeling like a Linux master I will give it a try.
Thanks for all your help!

Back