• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best "bang for buck"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

koontz946

im lookin to spend max $50 (give or take a few $) to get the best video card i can. 128mb preferred, but i kno that would be a stretch. any advice?

You could always check the refurbs on newegg every now and then.. but, most of them seems to go around 100 bucks as well..

However, if you're going to get a card for that money..

VGA CHAINTECH GEFORCE4 MX440 SE 128MB 4X APG VGA & TV-OUT. RETAIL BOX
Specifications:
GPU:NVIDIA® GeForce4™ MX440 SE
MEM:128MB DDR RAM, 128bits
Memory Core 400MHz
processor Core: 270MHz
Res: (1024x768RCA & S Video W/ Cable).
1 Years manufacture Warranty.
Retail box (See pictures for details)
Part# A-G446-128 Model#: A-G446-128 Special Free FedEx Saver Shipping

New card, GF4 mx, 128MB

55 bucks..

I would wait and save to double that amount.

On your info, I can't tell if you should wait. What kinda system do you have???

A little more info would be appropriate when placing such a Q.

Cheers, Flix

For $60, you might be able to get a Geforce3 ti200 or Radeon 8500LE; either of these would be much better than an MX440.

Or you could just save up and get a ti4200 for $83.

just save your money and buy something better. the 50 dollar range really is the lowest end of the market and with half life 2 and doom 3 and the next generation of games coming out, your card will be obsolete in a few months and leave you wishing you would have just saved your money.

I'm saving right now for *hopefully* and 9800np :D just hope in a few months, the price drops about $50

oh, i am currently using the GF4 Mx 440 with 128 ram and while it gets me by, that's about it. just save up 30-40 more bucks and get yourself a card that will last at least a year or so. My card is barely cutting it atm and i think my new processor (2.4 P4) and the 128 ram on the card are the only thing keeping the card working hehe

Last edited:
If you really need something soon get an 8500LE, you'll be able to play most things fine with that. Usually the 64MB versions come with better memory.

let me re-phrase my request:

i want to play ut2003, fallout tactics, vice city, and metal of honor. i have *roughly* $100 to spend. is the ti 4200 128 mb still the way to go? does it have direct x 9?

Not sure what the going price on those are but if you can pick up a Ti4200 128MB then that's a good deal. Otherwise, a 64MB version would do just fine for UT2003 and Metal of Honor (I haven't played the other games you mentioned). A Radeon 8500 series card would be fine as well. You won't be able to utilise AA or AF much with either of the cards though.

The Ti4200 is a DX8 card, as are the Radeon 8500s. DX9 won't help you in those games you mentioned anyway though.

My ti420064mb plays vice city, UT, and MOHAA all fine at 1152x864, with the graphics up all the way on MOHAA, and VC. On UT the graphics on my pc can be turned up to near full, but if you still have that celeron rig dont count on playing it with high res and high detail. You really should think about upgrading your rig if you havent already done so.(heck, I need to upgrade mine:D)

Back